Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   ISO online cooking schools (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/iso-online-cooking-schools-57347.html)

JoeM 05-01-2009 04:34 PM

ISO online cooking schools

Does anyone know of a good online cooking school? I am a decent cook, but I am looking to learn more techniques. For instance, when do you sweat and when do you sauté aromatics? I have many other questions that I think can be covered with a simple online course. I am a good cook, but I need to know if I am cooking things to their full taste potential.

Wyogal 05-01-2009 05:00 PM

Sometimes it takes standing next to someone that is using the technique you want to learn.
I'd be interested in any decent online resources as well... this one's pretty good! I haven't checked Youtube or other video online sites yet.

JoeM 05-01-2009 05:58 PM

ISO online cooking schools

Thanks Wyogal, I basically know the techniques alot of the websites offer as instruction. I like the blog, The cheesecake looks interesting. I mostly cook Italian or old fashioned foods (ie meatloaf etc.) not really desserts. does anyone know of an old fashioned Italian cookbook.

babetoo 05-02-2009 07:50 PM

if u find a school on line, would u please let me know. thanks

luvs 05-02-2009 09:41 PM

[quote=Wyogal;818104]Sometimes it takes standing next to someone that is using the technique you want to learn.
quote]

i concur.

luvs 05-03-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeM (Post 818096)
Does anyone know of a good online cooking school? I am a decent cook, but I am looking to learn more techniques. For instance, when do you sweat and when do you sauté aromatics? I have many other questions that I think can be covered with a simple online course. I am a good cook, but I need to know if I am cooking things to their full taste potential.

check your local community college for lifetime learning courses offered to adults.
some may be offered online.

Rob Babcock 05-05-2009 05:11 AM

I don't know of any online cooking schools, but I'd suggest you buy Wayne Gisslen's Professional Cooking. It's a textbook used at CIA and a fantastic resource. If it ain't in that book it ain't worth knowing!:lol:

luvs 05-05-2009 01:31 PM

that's the book my school abides by for several different recipes although they mostly give us le Corden Bleu recipe packets.

jennyema 05-05-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Babcock (Post 818888)
I don't know of any online cooking schools, but I'd suggest you buy Wayne Gisslen's Professional Cooking. It's a textbook used at CIA and a fantastic resource. If it ain't in that book it ain't worth knowing!:lol:

The CIA's textbook is actually The Professional Chef and it's a great resource. You can get the CIA's study guide(s) too.

It will answer most of your questions.

Amazon.com: The Professional Chef: Culinary Institute of America: Books

Wyogal 05-05-2009 04:16 PM

I believe the Gisselin book is Le Cordon Bleu, we used it in school, too. We used the CIA Baking and Garde Manger books as well.
Amazon.com: Professional Cooking, Trade Version: Wayne Gisslen: Books