All things coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gadzooks

Sous Chef
I have a FreshRoast 8+ that I found on CraigsList for $20, I think, and a recently scored Caffe Rosto, found in a thrift store for $4. Both are good, both are no longer made. They do small batches, which is good, because I like to blend roasts for a more complex flavor, and only roast 3 days ahead. I get raw beans generally from Sweet Maria's, online, and am partial to a Nayarit Rustico from Mexico. Fair trade, shade grown, organic and dry processed. Both roasters use fan-forced hot air, and both have automatic timers. And both can frequently be found for cheap on eBay, if you do not have access to good second-hand shops. Sweet Maria's is also a wealth of information on coffee, roasters and roasting. Home Coffee Roasting Supplies -Sweet Maria's

OK, lets talk coffee here. Roasting, grinding, drinking and savoring.

What should I look for in the beans? I know I can buy unroasted beans at a couple of coffee shops but I'm a newbie. I just know a good cup of coffee when I drink one.

Edit: OK I copied one of gadzooks posts from another thread into this one so I could easily access the info. LOL. Just didn't want to confuse anyone.

Last edited:
There's nothing I love more than a good cup of coffee! Costa Rican is probably my favorite! I've heard you can roast whole green beans in a skillet. I've thought long and hard about buying a home roaster. I've also heard you can roast in a skillet on your stove. I didn't realize how much of a coffee snob I had become...:blush: Most grocery store brands taste like cardboard. I wake up only to have that first sip of coffee!!

Alix and Elf I am right there with you. Love good coffee. We are lucky to be living in an area that actually grows coffee, and the beans we get have been freshly roasted. I suppose I could find some green beans if I looked, but haven't seen any for sale anywhere...I would also be interested in how to roast. I'm amazed to see people here buying stale supermarket-type ground coffee when our local coffee is so great. Makes me want a cup right now, but it's time to go to bed. Darn.

Mmmmm Costa Rican. I think its my favorite too. Although if I could have Kona regularly that might be my fave.

Alix - I'm really glad you explained the first post in this thread - I was REALLY confused until I re-read your "used to be" first post.

MK - I'm terribly jealous - it doesn't get any fresher than that!!!!!

katybar - I forgot about Blue Mountain - that is wonderful stuff!!!! It's even better while sitting on the beach in Jamaica :LOL:

OK - I've got to get into this coffee roasting scene. The freshly roasted stuff I can get my hands on is about $12.00 a lb. and more. Thanks gadzooks for the info above. I'm going on a hunt!

You know how men say I like my women like I like my coffee - blond and sweet. Well, thanks to katybar I now have my little saying - strong and delicious!!!!

Last edited:
OK, home roasting. You can spend a lot of money to do this, or just a little. I had two small batch roasters (sold one), but I am currently using a hot air popcorn popper. It gives a more even roast, I think. The kind of popper to use for coffee roasting has the air inlets on the sides of the popping (roasting) chamber, at the bottom. If you use the other kind, with the air inlet on the bottom and with a screen over it, you may set your coffee chaff on fire. Spoils the roast. These can generally be found in thrift stores for under $5. Even new, they cost less than half of what you will pay for a small batch coffee roaster.

Back
Top Bottom