ISO advice preparing Cornish hen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeonW

Assistant Cook
I want to prep a Cornish hen when I get off work at 4:00, Any Ideas on how long i should set it before putting it in the Oven? Haven't quite decided how to season it much, may go with a bit of Parsley and peppers.

Also I kinda wanted to do something with strawberries, any Ideas on how to blend the two without making a squishy mess (unless it's a sauce ^.^)

are you roasting them whole? you could split down the back, roast them flat with a foil covered brick on top. I like to rub them with butter and herbs, your choice. Sometimes Italian seasonings, or sage, garlic, and pepper.
How about a side salad, greens with strawberries?

are you roasting them whole? you could split down the back, roast them flat with a foil covered brick on top. I like to rub them with butter and herbs, your choice. Sometimes Italian seasonings, or sage, garlic, and pepper.
How about a side salad, greens with strawberries?

I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking of brineing(sp? <.<) the halves, I don't have many seasonings left T.T so I'm confined to S&P (Thank bejeebus) Curry powder, Parsley, Some Italian seasons mix, Season Salt,Oregano, and rosemary (which I'm very proud to have ^.^) butter, and Garlic.

As for a salad, I'm not getting my hopes up, I have lettuce, that blackberries and Strawberries may help me finagle something up. but I was kinda hoping for a sweet sauce, If not with the chicken, maybe Something I can drizzle over sweetbread.

well, teon, if you're proud of your rosemary, i'm glad you have it. goes great with poultry. i put lemon with my hens, rosemary, salt, pepper, & grnd. sage.

well, teon, if you're proud of your rosemary, i'm glad you have it. goes great with poultry. i put lemon with my hens, rosemary, salt, pepper, & grnd. sage.

I lament my lack of lemons (they taste great raw)but the rest, ) just so I don't overdue it (one time ONE TIME i put too much seasoning in a cornish hen, mom said too much, but she usually says not enough (i usually flavor it to my tastes (bold flavors, or subtle spiciness) could you toss me a general measurement ( otherwise I may add about, half a cup!))

As for the rosemary, Teon, I usually just lift the skin on the hens and slather a little butter under and add a sprig of rosemary and put the skin back down. Salt and pepper lightly. That seems about right for us.

Back
Top Bottom