Lemon juice in spaghetti sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katybar22

Senior Cook
Does anybody else put lemon juice in spaghetti sauce? I started doing it a long time ago when making sauce with canned tomatoes. To me, it just gave the sauce that tangy, fresh tomato taste. I don't know where I heard about doing this, but now unless I have fresh tomatoes I don't make sauce without a lemon. I also do it w/ tomato based soups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never done that. In fact just the opposite. I often add sugar to balance out the tartness of the canned tomato sauce. I love lemons and add them to many things for that fresh citrus flavor but have never felt the need to add to tomatoes. It's all a matter of personal taste I guess. If it makes your mouth happy, that's all that matters!

I use lemon and sugar when making tomato based cabbage borscht or stuffed cabbage. Which we then call it "sweet & sour"....have only just put some sugar in spaghetti sauces.

Bottled lemon juice is added when canning tomatoes in order to increase the acidic level of the tomatoes. Hybrid varieties over the years have become less acidic which creates a safety issue when canning them, thus the lemon juice addition.

You should not be able to taste the actual lemon juice, but it does make the sauce more acidic and probably does improve the flavor of the tomatoes on the taste buds.

I will have to try that. I normally put a bit of red wine vinegar in mine...I guess it serves the same purpose?

A local restaurant makes this tomato parmesan soup that screams for a lemon to be squeezed in it. Don't ask me how I heard that scream from a soup....:LOL: But, it worked and it was wonderful!!!!

Does anybody else put lemon juice in spaghetti sauce? I started doing it a long time ago when making sauce with canned tomatoes. To me, it just gave the sauce that tangy, fresh tomato taste. I don't know where I heard about doing this, but now unless I have fresh tomatoes I don't make sauce without a lemon. I also do it w/ tomato based soups.
Yes, especially if it's a meat sauce. It cuts the grease, adds acid, adds a freshness...

I will have to try that. I normally put a bit of red wine vinegar in mine...I guess it serves the same purpose?

A local restaurant makes this tomato parmesan soup that screams for a lemon to be squeezed in it. Don't ask me how I heard that scream from a soup....:LOL: But, it worked and it was wonderful!!!!

All of my soups scream, scream of chicken, scream of mushroom, scream of celery...

I have added balsamic vinegar many times, so I guess lemon is not all that unusual. Especially Sicilian lemons, as they can be sweeter than many varieties.

Back
Top Bottom