What's Spices are Good for Chinese Food??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:chef: I always make Chinese food and it is tasty actually .. but..
there is always something missing .. are there any special spices other than ginger ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of garlic, onions of all sorts (chives, scallions, and any other kind of onion you'd care to mention). One thing that many miss when cooking is fresh herbs. Also, bear in mind that there are many kinds of Chinese cooking. It is a huge country; to say that "THIS is Chinese cooking" is sort of like saying that something you eat in Mississippi should taste like something you eat in California and New Hampshire. Virginia, Illinois.... well, you get the picture. There are many kinds of Chinese food, get a cookbook or go online to learn what you are trying to cook and how you want it to taste.

Hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, kepac manin sauce, black bean sauce, fish sauce,
sesame oil, sherry, rice wine, cilantro, teriyaki sauce....

All of these are important in Asian cookery, too!

I have a good cookbook, The Gourmet Chinese Regional Cookbook, by Calvin B.T. Lee and Audrey Evans Lee. It explains the different types of Chinese food according to regions. It also describes ingredients and gives sources for mail-order.

A quick study of the different regions will give you different ideas and spice suggestions. When I think of Chinese it can range from star anise, szechuan peppercorns, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, spring onions, to black bean paste, hoisin, oyster sauce, and cilantro, etc. Everyone has suggested everything I would have and more! Look up a few Chinese recipes and you'll get a good idea. Use the word "authentic" in your search.

You are right !!

Lots of garlic, onions of all sorts (chives, scallions, and any other kind of onion you'd care to mention). One thing that many miss when cooking is fresh herbs. Also, bear in mind that there are many kinds of Chinese cooking. It is a huge country; to say that "THIS is Chinese cooking" is sort of like saying that something you eat in Mississippi should taste like something you eat in California and New Hampshire. Virginia, Illinois.... well, you get the picture. There are many kinds of Chinese food, get a cookbook or go online to learn what you are trying to cook and how you want it to taste.

true ,,iguess i have so much to learn about cooking.

good tha you guys are here :) :(

thanks chef !!! :)))

:chef:
A quick study of the different regions will give you different ideas and spice suggestions. When I think of Chinese it can range from star anise, szechuan peppercorns, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, spring onions, to black bean paste, hoisin, oyster sauce, and cilantro, etc. Everyone has suggested everything I would have and more! Look up a few Chinese recipes and you'll get a good idea. Use the word "authentic" in your search.

thanks ... i guess i have to do some shopping tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

I always go by these stuff and wounder if i should get them !!!?

Hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, kepac manin sauce, black bean sauce, fish sauce,
sesame oil, sherry, rice wine, cilantro, teriyaki sauce....

All of these are important in Asian cookery, too!

Hmmmm ..... !!! seems pretty proffecional .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom