Tried something when camping this weekend.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
I had taken a Daikon radish with me in the cooler. I happen to like radish sandwiches(radish, butter, salt).

When baking the potatoes, I figured why not roasted radish!
I salted it a bit, wrapped it in foil and tossed it on the coals.
It tasted nothing like I expected. It was almost like cooked cabbage, but with more texture. I am thinking you could do a GREAT gratin with it.

Slice the daikon into long thin strips, lay in the casserole pour in your Be'chamel, top with bread crumbs and grated cheese, bake it down. I think it will be fantastic!!!

Wow, talk about inspired! I love when experiments work so well they become new favorites!
But one feels compelled to ask: why on earth did you think to bring Daikon radish camping? I'm not criticizing, just curious :)

Wow, talk about inspired! I love when experiments work so well they become new favorites!
But one feels compelled to ask: why on earth did you think to bring Daikon radish camping? I'm not criticizing, just curious :)
I wanted Radish Sandwiches for lunch..

Slice the radish, butter the bread. Place the radish on the bread and salt.. yummy...

I had taken a Daikon radish with me in the cooler. I happen to like radish sandwiches(radish, butter, salt).

When baking the potatoes, I figured why not roasted radish!
I salted it a bit, wrapped it in foil and tossed it on the coals.
It tasted nothing like I expected. It was almost like cooked cabbage, but with more texture. I am thinking you could do a GREAT gratin with it.

Slice the daikon into long thin strips, lay in the casserole pour in your Be'chamel, top with bread crumbs and grated cheese, bake it down. I think it will be fantastic!!!

I wonder if radishes and turnips are in the same botanical family. They are similar in texture, and flavor. And I know that turnips and rutabbega are in the same family, as well as, I believe, cabbage. This is because a rutabbega is a cross between a cabbage and a turnip. This would lead me to believe that radishes and cabbage are similar as well, but with a slightly different flavor profile. And in fact, some cabbage has a hot componant in its profile. I know that sometimes cole slaw will come out spicier, depending on the heat of the cabbage used.

Your idea for roasting the radish was great, and because of the above logic (or illogic :LOL:) I can see how it would work. Great job.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I wonder if radishes and turnips are in the same botanical family. They are similar in texture, and flavor. And I know that turnips and rutabbega are in the same family, as well as, I believe, cabbage. This is because a rutabbega is a cross between a cabbage and a turnip. This would lead me to believe that radishes and cabbage are similar as well, but with a slightly different flavor profile. And in fact, some cabbage has a hot componant in its profile. I know that sometimes cole slaw will come out spicier, depending on the heat of the cabbage used.

Your idea for roasting the radish was great, and because of the above logic (or illogic :LOL:) I can see how it would work. Great job.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yes.. I think you are right. The flavor was between a turnip and cabbage.. Treated properly it would be a terrific side dish.

Back
Top Bottom