ISO help with foods while traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amajedi

Assistant Cook
I am about to go on vacation down to South Carolina with a few of my buddies (there will be 13 of us). Everyone that is going is under 20 so we like simple recipes that take less than 45 minutes to prepare. I was wondering what sorts of things I should buy in order to prepare food at the place we are staying at. Everyone is expected to bring some things to help with food and this is the list I have so far:

SNACKS
chips (various flavors) Pretzels
1 Dip
Gold Fish (various flavors
Bread (baget and sliced) / Jelly
Cereal / Cereal bars / Granola bars
Almonds / Nuts
Combos
Ramen

Fruit
Red apples
Cherries
Strawberries

Drinks
Orange Juice
Fruit Juices / Iced Tea
Water

Mis.
Napkins

Things to buy there
olive oil
lunch meats
cheeses (sliced and whole)
chicken
steak
ground meat
butter
Eggs
milk
watermelon

anything else I should add on that would be good to have? :ermm:

Sounds like that's going to be a great trip!! :)
All that comes to mind is potatoes, maybe some corn on the cob,aluminum foil the heavy duty kind,and matches,just in case.

Fake ID!!!..You didn't hear that from me..:angel:

Have a good time. :)

Munky.

potatoes..hmm sounds good

yeah foil is a must, i'm sure someone will bring it and also im bringing spices!

For the sandwiches, bring bread (assorted), mayo, mustard, ketchup. For the hamburgers if you make those, buns, the ketchup would come in handy, and some pickle slices for on top or on the side.

thanks everyone, the trip is tomorrow...when i get back ill post up anything else that i missed and how much money i actually saved eating in. :chef:

Please do post. My dh and both daughters and their families are going in 2 weeks on vacation. We have rented a condo and plan to do a lot of our cooking especially during the day. We are wondering what to carry also.Let us know how your experience was.

finally back after 14 hours of driving

Wow so the trip was a lot of fun.

Ok so eating in saved us a ton of money, exactly how much though is hard to say. It was 13 of us and we had to go to the grocery store only about twice once we were there and each of us paid only 30 or so total for groceries (chicken legs, hamburgers, hot dogs, rice mixes you make on the stove, etc). We brought with us a good deal of food to last through the week too (personally I spent around $40 on groceries to bring). ~$70 total/week
The only problem we ran into was drinks. I found that we had to stop by gas stations and pick up extra 12 packs of soda, waters and juices for everyone since we kept taking them, drinking a little, then setting it down and never drinking the rest. Something that did help this was bringing along those powdered drink mixes used to make iced tea. The place we were staying at had a pitcher so just add water and a little sugar and boom, instant beverage (once it cools in the frig of course). While there I made some delicious chicken drumsticks by marinading them in italian dressing for about 24 hours then grilling them. About 10 hours before actually cooking them I sprinkled on some of the powdered italian dressing from the packets to add a little more flavor, this made the chicken 10x better. While cooking the chicken I just threw on some aluminum foil wrapped potatoes with olive oil and salt added to the skin over the grill for about an hour. Most other nights we just threw in some frozen pizza's in the oven, made some instant mashed potatoes along with those rice packets that you just need to add to some boiling water and butter, and ramen.

For breakfast: cereal, bagels, and eggs.

Lunch: Since we were on the beach most of the time during this time I just made some sandwiches. We bought lunch meats and cheese from the grocery store but my girlfriend brought along some tuna in cans and we just mixed that with some mayo and made tuna sandwiches too.

What I did that was a really good idea was that I took small ziploc sandwich bags and filled them with about 4-5 tsp. of spices I had in my house ( kosher salt, table salt, black pepper, paprika, dried basil, oregano, etc) and then put all the small bags in a large ziploc bag.

We constantly used the salt and pepper for everything and the other spices were useful here and there and since they were all together in a small bag it wasn't much of a hassle at all.

Nothing else comes to mind other than just the fact that we made it (food wise) without any problems. Bringing along just random snacks like gold fish, crackers, tons of chips, popcorn, etc) was not only good for drunk snaking but also useful on the long car ride so you don't waste money at gas stations buying snacks.

Wow so the trip was a lot of fun.

Ok so eating in saved us a ton of money, exactly how much though is hard to say. It was 13 of us and we had to go to the grocery store only about twice once we were there and each of us paid only 30 or so total for groceries (chicken legs, hamburgers, hot dogs, rice mixes you make on the stove, etc). We brought with us a good deal of food to last through the week too (personally I spent around $40 on groceries to bring). ~$70 total/week
The only problem we ran into was drinks. I found that we had to stop by gas stations and pick up extra 12 packs of soda, waters and juices for everyone since we kept taking them, drinking a little, then setting it down and never drinking the rest. Something that did help this was bringing along those powdered drink mixes used to make iced tea. The place we were staying at had a pitcher so just add water and a little sugar and boom, instant beverage (once it cools in the frig of course). While there I made some delicious chicken drumsticks by marinading them in italian dressing for about 24 hours then grilling them. About 10 hours before actually cooking them I sprinkled on some of the powdered italian dressing from the packets to add a little more flavor, this made the chicken 10x better. While cooking the chicken I just threw on some aluminum foil wrapped potatoes with olive oil and salt added to the skin over the grill for about an hour. Most other nights we just threw in some frozen pizza's in the oven, made some instant mashed potatoes along with those rice packets that you just need to add to some boiling water and butter, and ramen.

For breakfast: cereal, bagels, and eggs.

Lunch: Since we were on the beach most of the time during this time I just made some sandwiches. We bought lunch meats and cheese from the grocery store but my girlfriend brought along some tuna in cans and we just mixed that with some mayo and made tuna sandwiches too.

What I did that was a really good idea was that I took small ziploc sandwich bags and filled them with about 4-5 tsp. of spices I had in my house ( kosher salt, table salt, black pepper, paprika, dried basil, oregano, etc) and then put all the small bags in a large ziploc bag.

We constantly used the salt and pepper for everything and the other spices were useful here and there and since they were all together in a small bag it wasn't much of a hassle at all.

Nothing else comes to mind other than just the fact that we made it (food wise) without any problems. Bringing along just random snacks like gold fish, crackers, tons of chips, popcorn, etc) was not only good for drunk snaking but also useful on the long car ride so you don't waste money at gas stations buying snacks.
so where are the pictures? i need to live vicariously through others!! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom