Seasoning a Dutch oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a non seasoned Dutch Oven from a store called Gander Mtn, Right now I was thinking about going to my folks house, Diging a 2 foot hole, Put the coals in the hole light the coals, put the d.o in the hole, get the heat up to 500 degree's let the conola oil biol for 10 minutes.

Unless there is an easier way to season the do at 500 degree's?

Rub Crisco on the DO and lid, inside and out, and place it into a 350 F oven for an hour. Then turn off the oven and let the DO cool in the oven.

I'd follow Andy's instructions to season the pot. Not sure that 500 degrees would be good for an unseasoned pot. That high temp might challenge the integrity of the metal! Once it's seasoned it'll probably be ok. I'd be afraid of cracking the pot. Let us know what happens.

First of all, do the seasoning as I suggested. The temperature used for the seasoning process does not limit the temperature for subsequent cooking processes.

I have never heard of cooking a stew or chili at 500 F. On the contrary, they are usually cooked at much lower temperatures for a long period of time.

Where does the peace of mind come in?

I seem to recall that Uncle Bob explained in another thread that the the desirable coating of a cast iron cooking surface is carbon. Would seem 500F would create carbon better than 375F.

The goal of seasoning, as I understand it, is to heat the metal, allow the oil to penetrate. I would imagine that at a certain temperature, this process occurs, and
increasing the temperature won't make a difference.

Andy? Don't I want to use conola oil to coat the DO with? and not lard?

Of coarse I am still very new to cooking and cooking in DO's, but I've read you want to use conola oil.

Back
Top Bottom