Pork tenderness help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I seem to have suddenly lost my ability to cook tender pork!

perhaps my grocer has changed suppliers or something..

I usually buy "bone in pork loin chops" about 1-2 inch thick, and usually grill, or pan fry

they seem to have very little fat on the edges now..

and the meat seizes up and becomes "very" tough in the middle..

I purchased a "tenderloin" and am thinking of making "pork medallions" about an inch thick, and just browning and serving almost raw, until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong...

Is the "tenderloin" of pork like the Beef Tenderloin?

should be quite rare?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

I wouldn't cook pork tenderloin rare, just slightly pink in the middle will still be juicy and tender.

For my personal taste I like pork (loin, tenderloin) at 145*... Slightly pink.
Ask your grocer if he has changed or his supplier has changed pork. If they have, shop elsewhere.

Try brining the meat too. Sometimes all it takes is adding a little moisture to the meat and its all good again.

Pork tenderloin is not like beef tenderloin and shouldn't be served rare. Even though the danger of trichinosis from pork is essentially eliminated you should still cook it thoroughly. Let the tenderloin rest a few minutes before you slice and serve, that will help with the tenderness too.

Pork tenderloin

You need to cook pork to about 155 degrees to be safe. Try slicing the pork tender against the grain thereby cutting your own boneless pork chops at whatever thickness you like. Maybe slow down the cooking time and add some moisture to help with tenderness.

You need to cook pork to about 155 degrees to be safe...

Sorry, but I have to disagree. You may like the way your pork is at 155 F but is is not necessary to get it that hot to be safe.

Trichinosis, the culprit that caused generations of Americans to overcook their pork "to be safe", is no longer an issue with modern pork products. Breeding, feeding and raising hogs is done in a much different manner to ensure safety.

Regardless, even if trichinosis were present (not likely) it is killed instantly at 137 F. At that temperature your pork will be slightly pink. I prefer to take it out 145 F.

Modern pork has been bred to be very lean. Lean meats dry out quickly when overcooked as there is no fat to maintain moisture. Moist pork can be had with brining and proper cooking.

For my personal taste I like pork (loin, tenderloin) at 145*... Slightly pink.
Ask your grocer if he has changed or his supplier has changed pork. If they have, shop elsewhere.

I cook mine to 142 then let rest. Letting the meat rest will help keep it moist and tender. Letting it rest the temp will go well above the 145F minimum recommendations for pork.

What Andy said..........137 is all you need.

I take mine out at 140 and let the residual heat finish it off. I like mine as pink as I can safely eat it.

Modern day pork is bred leaner than it was when I was learning to cook, which also means less juicy. Remember rule #1: Fat = Flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom