White film on bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patth9

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,

I make our bread in a bread machine, comes out very well. However, all of a sudden after about 2 days in the bag in the drawer, a white film starts forming over the last pieces (front and back) and eventually on all the slices. The bread hasn't always don't this. My ingredients haven't changed in the many months since we've been baking our own bread. It reminds me of mold, but it is purely white. Does anyone have a guess or answer?

Patt

Home made bread isn't loaded with preservatives so is more susceptible to mold. Before bagging your bread, make sur it is completely cooled to room temperature.

Home made bread isn't loaded with preservatives so is more susceptible to mold. Before bagging your bread, make sur it is completely cooled to room temperature.
thats what i was thinking that the bread was still warm and condensation is in the bag.

Was afraid of that, but it never use to mold so quickly, unless we just ate it faster than it could mold. Guess we will start freezing the bread and taking out one piece at a time. Hum, another thought.

We live in southern Texas where the humidity is usually high. However, when we purchased the bread machine our humidity was quite low and stayed that way for many glorious months but for the past few months, the humidity has really raised. Anyway...

Thanks for the WAY speedy replies, good thing I didn't eat that bread.:wacko:

Patt

I live on the gulf coast of Florida (humid). Two days for homemade bread is about all we get before the mold starts.

I live on the gulf coast of Florida (humid). Two days for homemade bread is about all we get before the mold starts.

Since I'm pretty much only cooking for me now, I fridge the home made bread after it cools. Stays fresher that way. I'd freeze it, but I rarely have the room. For example, I have a ham shank in the vegetable crisper right now :)

Bob

Yea, thought about the fridge after I posted, and I too have no room in the freezer.

This is a neat forum. If it weren't for internet forums and those who answer my many, many questions, I wouldn't be as wise as I am.

Patt:sleep:

Back
Top Bottom