Mom's Chicken Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Mom's Chicken Soup

Homemade Chicken Stock:

1 Whole chicken or 4 whole chicken breasts - with bones & 8 chicken wings*
Leeks - green part for stock - clean well in water
Carrots - 2 unpeeled
Celery - 2 stalks whole
Onions - 1 unpeeled and halved
Parsley - stems - washed well
Pepper corns - (I use 5 corn blend) I put them in a tea ball for easy removal later
Salt

Place all in lg. pasta pot with insert. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer 2 - 3 hours, the longer the better and chicken falls off the bones. Remove insert from pot (which will strain everything out in one shot) remove chicken pieces and throw away the vegetables. Place stock back into pot. Clean chicken making sure you get all the bones out. Chop into bite sized pieces. Set aside.

Chicken Soup:

Homemade Chicken stock
Cleaned chicken meat
Leeks - white part - chopped small and clean well in water
Carrots - peel and chopped small
Celery - cleaned and chopped small
Onions - chopped small
Parsley - cleaned chopped fine
Potatoes - peeled and chopped small
Salt and ground black pepper - taste stock and adjust to taste

Place all in pot. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer till vegetables are tender. Taste and correct the salt and pepper if needed. (Add canned chicken stock if necessary.)

Rice - brown or white - cooked - place in bowl and serve soup over the rice.
Grated Romano and Parmesan cheeses - add to top of the bowl of soup.

My mom would sometimes make tiny meatballs made of ground beef, fine chopped onion and garlic, bread crumbs, parsley chopped fine, grated Romano and Parmesan cheese and egg. She would roll tiny meatballs and fry them in a small amount of oil till brown then drain. She would add them to the soup at the end.

She would also sometimes add chopped fresh tomato and/or sweet baby peas to the soup. It all depended on how she felt that day and had on hand.

*Tip: If you buy whole chickens and cut them into parts save the backs and the wing tips (you can't eat the very tip of the wing but they add great flavor to stock) . Throw them in the freezer. The next time you make soup throw them in with your chicken when you make the stock.

Picture update:

Chicken soup over rice.

img_851965_0_e4d5a668ab4561c87be0bac67a828ab6.jpg

img_851965_1_e25e5ed161b23b4e94cf31e4094ba0ec.jpg

Personaly I do not like to use white meat for soup, there is no flavor in it. But that's just me. Also I wonder, what is chicken soup? To me it is a pire broth with rice or noodles cooked separatly and added to the plate/bowl. When added vegetables, I would call a vegy soup with chicken or chicken base, but not chicken soup. Tell me if I am wrong please.

I would not use rice if I'm making the soup with potatoes. Or, I'd omit the potatoes and use the rice. We always have put veg's in our chicken soup.What's in a name, anyway?

I would not use rice if I'm making the soup with potatoes. Or, I'd omit the potatoes and use the rice. We always have put veg's in our chicken soup.What's in a name, anyway?
mom always made her soup with potatoes. it is served OVER rice if the person wants it. i never put the rice IN the soup.

it is very good with brown rice but i didn't have any left.

It looks delicious and I will give it a try very soon. My family will love it. Thanks for sharing with us.
kadesma:)

Personaly I do not like to use white meat for soup, there is no flavor in it. But that's just me. Also I wonder, what is chicken soup? To me it is a pire broth with rice or noodles cooked separatly and added to the plate/bowl. When added vegetables, I would call a vegy soup with chicken or chicken base, but not chicken soup. Tell me if I am wrong please.

I find that even when cooking white meat in liquid, it gets dried out if cooked too long. Dark meat is my choice for a tender finished product. If you really want white meat, I would suggest cooking it separate and adding it to the soup at the end just to heat up.

No need for double carbs, I would also use one or the other.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom