A Sin? You Tell Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodweed -

Thanks for another method that I'll try. It actually sounds like a good way of doing it quickly, that you could even do in a regular grill (no smoker needed). I would probably try with a mop though, and keep the wood/coals off to the side. I have a good size non-stick pan for doing veggies on the grill that would work.

I could even put it directly over the cools for the last 15 minutes or so, and have lots of bark :)

Bob

I set my charcoal in two piles, on either side of the kettle, with a drip pan half filled with water in the middle. The wood goes on top of the coals. This creates a cooler, indirect heat that keeps the meat from drying out, and provides a great volume of smoke. The meat goes over the drip pan, in my cast iron pan. I stir it about every ten minutes to make sure all meat is exposed to the smoke.

Like you said, it's not true Q, but when you have to work all day at your day-job, and are expected to present smokey pulled pork for a birthday or other occasion, it does the job, and is very tasty. Just make sure that there is plenty of juice from the original cooking pan in with the meat. You get all of that slippery, rich collagen viscosity and juiciness going on with the meat and smoke flavor. It's pretty hard to tell from the real thing.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:LOL:
Claire - Don't get us started, or we'll have to start picking on you . :) So would you like a little BBQ sauce with your pablum?

Bob

:LOL::ROFLMAO:bwhahahahahahahaha!!!!!! *snort*
I couldn't have said it any better myself!!

I will NOT 'chow down' on ground up 'pulled' pork...basically because
I can't...
how do you chow down on drinkable meat??:glare:

:LOL:

:LOL::ROFLMAO:bwhahahahahahahaha!!!!!! *snort*
I couldn't have said it any better myself!!

I will NOT 'chow down' on ground up 'pulled' pork...basically because
I can't...
how do you chow down on drinkable meat??:glare:

ellakav - You could always dry it out a bit, smear it on a cracker as an appetizer, and call it Bâté (in place of pâté):ROFLMAO:

Bob

Goodweed - next time put apple juice in the water pan. I'm staying out of this conversation...:LOL:...I have an opinion about bbq and if anyone wants to come to my house you can taste my opinion! :rolleyes::cool::LOL:

Goodweed - next time put apple juice in the water pan. I'm staying out of this conversation...:LOL:...I have an opinion about bbq and if anyone wants to come to my house you can taste my opinion! :rolleyes::cool::LOL:

I wasn't really picking on Goodweed... as I mentioned, any of you guys want to invite me over for some pulled pork you made in the oven, or in the slow cooker, just don't call me late to dinner, and make sure the buns are fresh :)

And I'll be sure to show proper appreciation.

Bob

I've only one thing to say, well, maybe two.

1. What's wrong with potted meat:ohmy:? I love the stuff, especially Libby's brand.

2. I always pull my pork with forks, but have on occasion skipped the long smoking session due to lack of time, cooked in the slow cooker, and then pulled and smoked the pulled pork for half an hour or so in apple wood. Flavor and texture wise, you couldn't tell the difference between the short-smoked, already shredded meat and the same dish smoked for 12 hours whole. I have secret methods. Mooohuahahahaha:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Now that right there is right up there with boiling ribs before ya smoke them! :-p :LOL:

I sooooo am going to have to post pictures when we get my "redneck smoker" finished...

(Refrigerator, insulated with fireproof materials and completely foil-tacked inside, connected via stovepipe to an old pot-belly wood stove)

Can cook more Q in less time than most of the big boy Q pits that cost thousands of dollars, only I have better control over the heat, and with the perfectly sealed system (and the extra tweak of the chimney pipe placed lower than the intake pipe) I get more smoke into the meat.

To me pulled pork is cooked like this

img_838276_0_11ab1f39b19e30844a074b1c32ba64aa.jpg

And is served like this

img_838276_1_7320e5915e8c2db914908208c0a06df2.jpg

Paymaster, you have to build up some rep before dissing Goodweed...
Actually no dis intended,but....

I don't have alota "rep" here on this board,but I been around and have some at other spots on the web. But no matter my rep,I call'm like I see'm. Cook'n Q in a crock pot and boiling ribs before ya smoke them is just shortcuts. I don't shortcut,not my way but who really cares. You can put long floppy ears on a cat but it don't make him a rabbit.

Everyone here has the same rep no matter how new or seasoned they may be. As long as everyone is respectful (which I believe everyone has been) then there are no issues, just differences of opinion which is always welcome.

Casper, I've been cooking in all ways and forms for 40 years, and one thing I have learned is not to cook anything for anyone who believes they're an expert. For example, I have southern friends I'd never fry chicken for, even though hers tastes exactly like my mother's (and she's from NH). I have a friend who is an expert breakfast cook. Not going to so much as scramble an egg for him. And I wouldn't touch barbecue in any form with a ten foot pole, because everyone and only one way to do it, and it is a religion. I never fixed eastern European food for my in-laws, although my husband says mine is better. But I never, ever fix a food for someone who thinks that is THEIR specialty. So you can't pick on me! Haha! Seriously, given a choice, I like Korean barbecue or the vinegar based one (I do not have a sweet tooth), prefer pulled to chopped, but then my teeth are still in reasonable shape. But I simply don't think my preferences are the golden rule.

Claire... I'm not sure that I have a true "specialty", but maybe that's because I'm always open to learning something new. If you had me over you could make anything you liked and I'd feel privileged to be invited... and even more grateful if you deigned to pass on any little secrets about the meal. :)

As to the ground "pulled" pork... it doesn't sound appetizing, but I guess I'd have to try it before making a judgment (and that judgment would even then be strictly a matter of personal preference). :ohmy:

Actually no dis intended,but....

I don't have alota "rep" here on this board,but I been around and have some at other spots on the web. But no matter my rep,I call'm like I see'm. Cook'n Q in a crock pot and boiling ribs before ya smoke them is just shortcuts. I don't shortcut,not my way but who really cares. You can put long floppy ears on a cat but it don't make him a rabbit.

Paymaster; I saw no disrespect in yoru post, and I agree that a boston butt, slow roasted on the Q is certainly the best way to go, if you have proper equipment, time, and a bit of experience. But when I have to make something tasty in a hurry, and all I have is My Webber Kettle to smoke the meat in, then I use the technique I described earlier.

And as for rep, is that an Adams I see in that fly vice, and did you tie it? It's a bit small in the picture to tell. And have you tried tying the parachute version? If you want to make a pretty fly, tie a parachute adams using furnace hackle making sure to include some of the black coloring of the feather.

If you love tying flies, and using them to catch a mess of brookies, then we have somehting else in common besides a love of good food.:mrgreen:

RP, barbecue in America is probably like cassoulet in France or other dishes around the world. Everyone has an opinion on exactly how it should be done and won't look at anyone elses. I was appalled to learn that one place I lived, boiling ribs and putting them in a sugary-sweet bottled barbecue sauce was barbecue. Come on, shouldn't the meat at least be introduced to coals or wood? THEN I learned what I called barbecued chicken most places is considered grilled chicken, what was called barbecued chicken (or other meats) was what I grew up calling smoked. After many years of traveling, I've learned to just call anything I make, "Claire's xyz" That way I don't get in trouble with anyone!

Paymaster; I saw no disrespect in yoru post, and I agree that a boston butt, slow roasted on the Q is certainly the best way to go, if you have proper equipment, time, and a bit of experience. But when I have to make something tasty in a hurry, and all I have is My Webber Kettle to smoke the meat in, then I use the technique I described earlier.

And as for rep, is that an Adams I see in that fly vice, and did you tie it? It's a bit small in the picture to tell. And have you tried tying the parachute version? If you want to make a pretty fly, tie a parachute adams using furnace hackle making sure to include some of the black coloring of the feather.

If you love tying flies, and using them to catch a mess of brookies, then we have somehting else in common besides a love of good food.:mrgreen:

We are cool! The fly in the avatar is a Willow Fly. It immitates a large early summer mayfly that hatch on the warm sections of the Chattahoochee river here in Gawga. I tie most every day and must say that as a hobby it ranks right up there with BBQ as to favorites.I have tied a few Para Adams in my time. They are quite effective on Georgia Brookies. Here is a larger pic of the Willow Fly.

Attachments

• Willow 6 .jpg
    Willow 6 .jpg
    24 KB · Views: 175
Back
Top Bottom