Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup

White Button mushrooms - caps and stems cleaned and chopped fine
Shiitake mushrooms - stems discarded - caps chopped fine
Oyster mushrooms - cleaned and chopped fine
Cremini mushrooms - caps and stems cleaned and chopped fine
Baby Bella mushrooms - caps and stems cleaned chopped fine
Dried porcini mushrooms - soak in warm water (cover by 1 inch) to plump, chop fine, save liquid to add later
Onion - chopped fine
Salt and ground pepper
Butter
Burgundy wine
Beef stock
Sauté mushrooms and onions in butter till soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add dried porcini liquid and simmer till liquids are reduced and almost gone (this will intensify the mushroom flavor). Add Burgundy wine (to taste) and Beef stock in proportion to the amount of mushrooms you have and how thick or thin you like your soup. Simmer for 10 minutes.

To make the cream part of soup:
All-Purpose Flour
butter
1/2 and 1/2
Salt and ground pepper

Cook flour in butter (equal amounts of each) for 1 - 2 minutes. Add enough 1/2 & 1/2 to make a very thick mixture. Add salt and ground pepper to taste. Cook for about 1 minute stirring. Then add to the soup. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.

Sorry I don't have exact measurements as I made this recipe up. But the only part you need to worry about is the cream part and you can always make more and add it to soup till you get it the way you like it. Start off small and add more if necessary.

Baby Bella's and Cremini are the same mushroom. They grow wild in my neck of the woods. I forget what the french name for this flavorful fungus. To kick up the flavor just a bit more, omit any salt you may have used in the recipe and replace with truffle salt added during the last 5 minutes or so of cooking.

OH, by the way, your recipe sounds like something reserved for kings and queens. In other works, it sounds grrrrrreat!, to quote a tiger.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Baby Bella's and Cremini are the same mushroom. They grow wild in my neck of the woods. I forget what the french name for this flavorful fungus. To kick up the flavor just a bit more, omit any salt you may have used in the recipe and replace with truffle salt added during the last 5 minutes or so of cooking.

OH, by the way, your recipe sounds like something reserved for kings and queens. In other works, it sounds grrrrrreat!, to quote a tiger.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
way thank you sir!!

i make this soup every holiday as my soup course and everyone loves and raves about it. it is very quick and easy to make. and i never have left overs. which is a problem because i don't eat much after cooking the meal. :LOL:

in my area they are packaged under those names, they look different and taste different. maybe they taste different because they are in different stages of maturity and flavor intensifies with age? at any rate they make the soup taste great. is the truffle salt expensive? i have never seen it in the store, maybe a specialty store would have it?

take the soup for a test run and let me know what you think king goodweed!!

way thank you sir!!

i make this soup every holiday as my soup course and everyone loves and raves about it. it is very quick and easy to make. and i never have left overs. which is a problem because i don't eat much after cooking the meal. :LOL:

in my area they are packaged under those names, they look different and taste different. maybe they taste different because they are in different stages of maturity and flavor intensifies with age? at any rate they make the soup taste great. is the truffle salt expensive? i have never seen it in the store, maybe a specialty store would have it?

take the soup for a test run and let me know what you think king goodweed!!

Today is payday. I just might have to take you up on that. It does sound fabulous, and fabulous is a word I don't use casually.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i make a very similar soup, though add too much cream for the arteries to handles on more than an occassional basis!

Today is payday. I just might have to take you up on that. It does sound fabulous, and fabulous is a word I don't use casually.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
:wub::wub: thank you again!! you just made me feel fabulous. i hope my recipe lives up to your expectations. i look forward to your review.

i make a very similar soup, though add too much cream for the arteries to handles on more than an occassional basis!
i usually only make this soup for thankgiving, xmas and easter so thats not to bad. i make many other soups also that are very healthy.

agreed! usually i cook veggie soups, 'cept less healthy food tastes so delicious! :) soups can be some of the more versatile, haelthy creations we can cook. though cream of- soups top the list for flavor! not that lesser-fat soups don't!

agreed! usually i cook veggie soups, 'cept less healthy food tastes so delicious! :) soups can be some of the more versatile, haelthy creations we can cook. though cream of- soups top the list for flavor! not that lesser-fat soups don't!
yup yup!! i just posted Cream of Turkey (or Chicken) Soup that i usually only make with left over holiday turkey. we must not be wasteful!! there is always left over cream and turkey after a holiday meal. :LOL: why always have that boiled carcass soup when you can have cream of ....

ha, ha !(or ah-ha!) turkey frame soup! way better with cream & flour & milk & others added!

ha, ha !(or ah-ha!) turkey frame soup! way better with cream & flour & milk & others added!
yup yup i see we think a like. besides left overs aren't fattening didn't ya know, only NEW food is fattening!! :angel:

I don't grill steak often, but when I do, I take the juices that always accumulate on the serving plate and freeze it. Eventually, I have enough of that wonderful flavored juice to add to beef broths or soups. I'm thinking that grilled steak juice added to this mushroom soup recipe would raise the bar crazy high. Father's day is coming up. I think I'm going to try the soup without the steak-juice flavoring, and then add some for comparison. I'll let you know how it turns out. If you see abnormal lights in the sky, in the general area of Lake Superior, that'l be the glow from my grin if it tastes as good as I'm thinking it will.:LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I don't grill steak often, but when I do, I take the juices that always accumulate on the serving plate and freeze it. Eventually, I have enough of that wonderful flavored juice to add to beef broths or soups. I'm thinking that grilled steak juice added to this mushroom soup recipe would raise the bar crazy high. Father's day is coming up. I think I'm going to try the soup without the steak-juice flavoring, and then add some for comparison. I'll let you know how it turns out. If you see abnormal lights in the sky, in the general area of Lake Superior, that'l be the glow from my grin if it tastes as good as I'm thinking it will.:LOL:

whoooooooooooooooo hoooooooooo we are going on a road trip and will probaly be in that area so don't be surprised if you get company!! i will go into the light!! :LOL::LOL:

I made MsMoffet's soup and it is great. Here's the reply I made to her when asked about it in another thread.

I did indeed make the soup. It was really good. I made enough for two good bowl-fulls. I tasted it just as you made it and was very satisfied with the texture and flavor. I cut my shrooms into chunks rather than slices.

Next, I added diced onion, that was sweated until sweet to the soup and tasted again. it didn't change the flavor a lot, but there was a subtle difference and it was good.

Next, I added the truffle salt. That changed things significantly, added a much stronger mushroom flavor. It was very good.

And finally, I grilled the steaks over charcoal and reserved the juices from the platter. I added the juices to the 2nd bowl of soup (that I ate for lunch today) and it was as good as I thought it would be. It was like eating good steak with mushrooms, in a soup. Oh, and the steak was cooked rare on the grill, so that the left-over meat (it was a big bone-in ribeye) would cook to medium rare in the soup. There was the juice drippings from 5 ribeyes on the platter, about 4 tbs. of liquid.

Thanks for posting your mushroom soup recipe. It's well worth making.

MsMoffet; I've decided to rename your soup to "Dream of Mushroom Soup" 'cause I'll be dreaming of having it again when I don't have any available.:mrgreen:

seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

MsMoffet; I've decided to rename your soup to "Dream of Mushroom Soup" 'cause I'll be dreaming of having it again when I don't have any available.:mrgreen:

seeeeya; Goodweed of the North
:LOL::LOL: ok then!! whatever gets ya through!! teehee

thank you for posting your review. i never put meat in it before. i think i will have to try that. i make roasted eye round roast with homemade burgundy gravy, i think some roast and gravy will be added to my mushroom soup next time.

i thought i was i only one who dreamt of my shroom soup!! LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom