Morcilla Iberica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timewarp123

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I have just brought some mocilla iberica (spanish blood sausage) back from holiday.

There are no instructions on the pack.

Can this be eaten straight from the pack or must it be cooked first?

Thanks for your help, Tim.

Morcilla is fresh produce, not cured or smoked. It must be cooked - here in Spain it is usually shallow fried whole in oil.

But the big question is how long was it in your bags for? Were you able to keep it chilled? You don't give details of your location in your profile, so I can't gauge how long you might have spent travelling. If it went in the plane in your hand luggage or if it might have got warm sitting in your bags in a hot airport or the back of the car, do not eat it. You can always eat it again next time you go to Spain. It is not worth making yourself sick.

Thanks for all your advice.

It doesn't say "ahumado" or "cocido" on the packaging.

I bought it in Palma, Majorca and it went in my checked luggage on the way back to London.

I fried some last night and served it in a salad with a red-wine vinegar and mustard dressing and it was very nice.

I've put the rest in the freezer.

Thanks for replying. Glad to hear it went in the hold. Morcilla is not expensive but it is too good to have to throw out!
It is often served almost as a flavouring with vegetables and pulses. Fry some up with some chopped bacon and onion and crumble the morcilla as you cook it. Perhaps add some paprika too. Then stir the vegetables into this sauce (fairly dry) and serve.
I'm not a great fan of British black pudding (the gobbets of fat don't appeal to me) but I love Spanish morcilla, especially the kind with rice and pine kernels. Hope you enjoy the rest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom