Sub for white wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
Im making a Tarragon marinade for chicken breast. It calls for 1/4 cup white wine. Can I use white cooking wine? If so how much?
Please and thank you. :)

I agree with Hoot. The only thing cooking wine is good for is...hmm...I can't think of anything. They load it up with salt so it is undrinkable. The stuff is horrible. Use real wine or skip the wine or find a different recipe.

I would not recommend "cooking" wine.
It has salt and other additives in it.
I would recommend using a wine you like to drink.

Actually I hate wine. I like beer myself lol. But thats not the reason. The reason is I have cooking wine not drinking wine and I really dont want to have to drive to town right now. I thought if I didnt add any extra salt would it be okay? :)

Im making a Tarragon marinade for chicken breast. It calls for 1/4 cup white wine. Can I use white cooking wine? If so how much?
Please and thank you. :)

The short answer is...Yes! If that's all you have on hand ~~~ The long answer is be advised that it does contain a lot of salt, so you may want to watch the salt content of any other ingredients in your marinade. Or you could use 1/4 cup of vinegar + 1/4 cup water + 1 T. Sugar...Or maybe dilute the cooking wine with some water...Considering the hour...use what you have!

Enjoy!

The short answer is...Yes! If that's all you have on hand ~~~ The long answer is be advised that it does contain a lot of salt, so you may want to watch the salt content of any other ingredients in your marinade. Or you could use 1/4 cup of vinegar + 1/4 cup water + 1 T. Sugar...Or maybe dilute the cooking wine with some water...Considering the hour...use what you have!

Enjoy!

Thank you very much! :)

You're welcome!!! Next time you're in town, you may want to pick up a bottle of a dry (not sweet) white wine....Just for cooking purposes:whistling You might can find 1/2 bottles or even 1/4 bottles so it want get stale/flat between recipes....

Enjoy!

I also don't drink much wine but like to use it for cooking purposes. I don't like to buy bottles of wine as I only use a cup or so for most dishes and the rest will tend to sit in the fridge too long before I use it up.

I've tried cooking wine and, like others have said, found it unsatisfactory. The two solutions I've found are:

• Dry vermouth - has a nice effect in food similar to white wine and keeps really well.
  • Bag in box white wine - Wine snobs will look down their noses at you, but it works well and keeps much better than bottled wines (and it's cheap too!). Try to avoid oaky stuff like the chardonnays, if you can find it go for a riesling or pinot grigio - but then that's my taste and cooking style, you may find you like different stuff better.

Bag in box white wine - Wine snobs will look down their noses at you, but it works well and keeps much better than bottled wines (and it's cheap too!). Try to avoid oaky stuff like the chardonnays, if you can find it go for a riesling or pinot grigio - but then that's my taste and cooking style, you may find you like different stuff better.
This is exactly what I do. I find it so convenient and tastewise it works just fine. I keep a box in my pantry with some Dixie cups next to it. The Dixie cups measure a half cup. Whenever I need wine for a recipe I grab a Dixie cup and measure out how much I need. It is always there and ready.

Well, Russel and GB stole my two answers! :LOL: Dry Vermouth will keep in a cupboard for....well......a VERY long time! And boxed wine will stay good for about 9 months to a year. I keep mine in the cupboard right beside my stove...very handy!

If you did use the cooking wine I'm curious as to how it turned out?

First, I did use the cooking wine. I diluted it 1/2 water as suggested. It turned out great. :)

Second. Thanks every body for the tips. I am going shopping today and I am buying a boxed white wine as suggested here. Good to know it will keep longer. I did have a bottle of white around here once but it disappeared. I think my son drank it last time he visited. lol.

Third. Since were on the subject of what wines to cook with, any suggestions for red wines for cooking?

Thanks all. :)

• Dry vermouth - has a nice effect in food similar to white wine and keeps really well.
  • That's what Julia Child used 90% of the time when a recipe called for white wine.
Bag in box white wine - Wine snobs will look down their noses at you, but it works well and keeps much better than bottled wines (and it's cheap too!). Try to avoid oaky stuff like the chardonnays, if you can find it go for a riesling or pinot grigio - but then that's my taste and cooking style, you may find you like different stuff better.

"Wine snobs" might turn up their noses, but this is what most restaurants use. and Russ, you are quite right. The oaky stuff doesn't reduce well at all. It just gets oakier, and that's not particularly palatable. Sauvignon blanc or Pinot grigio/gris are much better to cook with.

Mr. P: Red wines for cooking!

Keep it simple. If you can find a nice box of Merlot or Syrah, that will pretty much keep until you can use it up. If you have a bottle of Beaujolais on hand, that's also a good choice. You want a fruity wine for cooking, not a tannic wine.

Wines with lots of tannins (such as Cabernet Sauvignon) will reduce to being a puckery mess, so no need to spend the money on that.

Mr. P: Red wines for cooking!

Keep it simple. If you can find a nice box of Merlot or Syrah, that will pretty much keep until you can use it up. If you have a bottle of Beaujolais on hand, that's also a good choice. You want a fruity wine for cooking, not a tannic wine.

Wines with lots of tannins (such as Cabernet Sauvignon) will reduce to being a puckery mess, so no need to spend the money on that.

Thank you muchly.
and by the way. I'm a Miss not a Mr. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom