Adding fresh herbs to butter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
I am venturing into butter making and would like to add some fresh basil to one and fresh tarragon to another. Would a simple chop work to really get the flavor going or would it be better to crush [the herbs]?

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

I'd go with chopped. I think both the appearance and the flavor of the butter would be better that way. Just chop finely. And I'd use unsalted butter as well. Whatcha' going to do with it???

I wash and completely dry whatever herb I'm incorporating into the butter, and chop it in the food processor. Then I add the butter and blend the two together.

It's a great way to freeze fresh herbs, too!

I generally chop them fine with my knife and then mix them into softened butter then roll into a log and put in the freezer or fridge.

Thank you all!

I'm actually making the butter ... after it comes together and I drain off the liquid, is that when you would add the herbs and form?

Laury, we're looking to use to use it on steaks, baked potatoes, biscuits and I might just eat it :)!

Thank you all!

I'm actually making the butter ... after it comes together and I drain off the liquid, is that when you would add the herbs and form?

Laury, we're looking to use to use it on steaks, baked potatoes, biscuits and I might just eat it :)!

you can also make some dynamite Chicken Kiev with it. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom