Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Just wanted to mention... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/just-wanted-to-mention-58596.html)

CasperImproved 06-30-2009 06:25 PM

Just wanted to mention...

Hi Guys. Just wanted to say that anyone missing Katie E in the next couple of days need not worry.

She's got some worm/virus things on her computer, and needs to get them cleansed.

I'm sure she'll be back after a couple of days after best buy take's care of her issues.

Bob

Chile Chef 06-30-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasperImproved (Post 832739)
Hi Guys. Just wanted to say that anyone missing Katie E in the next couple of days need not worry.

She's got some worm/virus things on her computer, and needs to get them cleansed.

I'm sure she'll be back after a couple of days after best buy take's care of her issues.

Bob

That's why I don't download from strange sites, download unwanted videos,unwanted jpgs, so and so on, But I hope she gets up and running in no time.

texasgirl 06-30-2009 07:36 PM

viruses don't always come from downloads. they can easily come from a well known persons email also from updates of popular software. Microsoft had a problem with someone hacking theirs a few years back and I ended up with the Welchia worm that destroyed my computer and wasn't able to be fixed.

I hope Katie is able to get it removed quickly. Thank you for letting us know, Bob.

Chile Chef 06-30-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasgirl (Post 832749)
viruses don't always come from downloads.

That shows you, How much you know, Google virus and you will be amazed.

texasgirl 06-30-2009 07:54 PM

How about you try reading what I wrote. they don't ALWAYS come from downloading things. I didn't say that don't come from downloads.

kadesma 06-30-2009 07:55 PM

Thanks Bob,
I just talked to her and she is taking the computer to be fixed..I'll keep in touch and pass on anything I find out.
kadesma

I-SPY_BAMSBBQ 06-30-2009 08:43 PM

a good program is avast

and for spyware a good one is malwarebytes.

oh and campbells soup guy, you can get virus's/spyware from mp3's and just like texasgirl said not all come from downloading things... install a sites active X and it may contain spyware...google that one:ohmy:

bullseye 06-30-2009 09:58 PM

It's actually amazing what seemingly innocuous things can give you spyware/malware/viruses, etc. I had one to deal with yesterday in which the wily malcontent who wrote it was actually able to infect the Norton files! Yes. BAM, Avast is good. I like the fact that it is able to do a scan from boot before Windows opens. It's very nice, I must say, that I run Linux--which most malware authors do, so they don't infect themselves--and not have to worry about this!

CasperImproved 07-01-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadesma (Post 832756)
Thanks Bob,
I just talked to her and she is taking the computer to be fixed..I'll keep in touch and pass on anything I find out.
kadesma

Hi Kadesma -

I tried to help her fix her problem, but the number of issues wasn't fixable without having her hard drive put on to a different PC to cleanse, back up her personal data, and then if necessary at that point do an initial install. She has Norton, but apparently it was doing the usual job that Norton does which is to take up valuable space, consume a ton of memory, cost money, and then not do what's needed. I won't go where that memory thread is taking me :-)

But suffice to say, Katie is off-line for a little while. I'm just glad she has a call anywhere for anytime plan :-)

Bob

msmofet 07-01-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasperImproved (Post 832823)
Hi Kadesma -

I tried to help her fix her problem, but the number of issues wasn't fixable without having her hard drive put on to a different PC to cleanse, back up her personal data, and then if necessary at that point do an initial install. She has Norton, but apparently it was doing the usual job that Norton does which is to take up valuable space, consume a ton of memory, cost money, and then not do what's needed. I won't go where that memory thread is taking me :-)

But suffice to say, Katie is off-line for a little while. I'm just glad she has a call anywhere for anytime plan :-)

Bob

booooooooooooo i see you!!