Chinese Pork Buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
finally got to go to my local asian market this weekend....man, that place is awesome! so many things i wanted to try!

however, i was short on time and kept it very simple....in addition to a few other things, i got some chinese pork buns (white, pillow-y buns filled with some sort of pork mixture)....not sure why, they just seemed to call to me at the moment

anyway, how do i cook these (no english on the package)?? they are refrigerated ....i assume the pork inside is already cooked, but i could be wrong....so i think im supposed to steam them, but i dont know how long....any other ways?

and does anyone have serving suggestions?

Mmmmm love these! They are one of my wife's favorites. They are fully cooked already. Believe it or not you can just heat them in the microwave for about a minute. I put ours on top of a moist paper towel to add a little steam.

The traditional way to heat them is in a steamer.

thanks guys....should i be dipping them in any sauce, or just by themselves?

also, these dont say "barbeque pork buns" - just "pork buns"....is that the same?

Just by themselves is fine.

Yes pork buns + bbq pork buns. They are a great quick snack (please take into account that a whole ham is a snack for me ;-) )

There are two versions of pork buns. One is served steamed and the other is baked.

If the picture on the package shows them white, they should be steamed. If the picture shows them browned, they should be baked.

As for how long, I don't know. I'd recommend an instant read thermometer. Make sure the center of the bun reaches about 160F.

How do you know they are pork if there is no English on the package?

Andy,

I have never seen the baked version!

P.S. I think your signature is fantastic and hillarious.

they are def the white, steamed kind....im going to try the microwave tonight, and then actual steam (i have a bamboo steamer insert for my wok) when i have more time

well, its 99.9% not english - it does say "PORK BUNS" on the front

are these things unhealthy? i cant imagine them being healthy, but i dont think they are terrible either....i try to maintain a strict diet....though ill prob eat all of these either way :rolleyes:

The package should have a nutritional panel on it. It's required by federal law for all processed foods sold in the USA.

There are two versions of pork buns. One is served steamed and the other is baked.

If the picture on the package shows them white, they should be steamed. If the picture shows them browned, they should be baked.

As for how long, I don't know. I'd recommend an instant read thermometer. Make sure the center of the bun reaches about 160F.

How do you know they are pork if there is no English on the package?

I'm guessing that it's better contemplating that, than shredded cat :ROFLMAO:

Bob

they are def the white, steamed kind....im going to try the microwave tonight, and then actual steam (i have a bamboo steamer insert for my wok) when i have more time

well, its 99.9% not english - it does say "PORK BUNS" on the front

are these things unhealthy? i cant imagine them being healthy, but i dont think they are terrible either....i try to maintain a strict diet....though ill prob eat all of these either way :rolleyes:

Since you have a bamboo steamer for your wok, you would be well served to use that instead of the microwave. The microwave ruins any bread that it touches... turns it into cardboard. One of the joys of the steamed pork buns is the squishy, spongy quality of the steamed dough. The micorwave will ruin that.

so i made a few last night using a wet paper towel and the mircowave...it worked very well, though i will try steaming next time

but i was a bit surprised by the filling...it was very similar to dumplings, meaning that it seemed to be seasoned, ground pork....no BBQ flavor....i was expecting more like chunks, or shreads of pork with sauce....this was more like an asian meatball....still very good, but im just wondering if thats normal

I've never eaten any with ground pork, nor made any with other than the regular Chinese Barbecued Pork. I've never prepared the pork for the buns, just went down to Chinatown and bought some. :)

If you steam some tonight, I think you'll see a considerable difference from the microwaved ones.

Char Su Bow - roast pork buns are indeed either steamed or baked.
As others have stated If baked thay should be browned - if steamed white.
There are also Gai Bow - chicken buns - in both varieties steamed or baked.
There is also Di Bow (big bun) which includes some Chinese Sausage with other
meats, these I've only seen steamed.
Steaming rather than microwaving is preferable but microwaving
will produce acceptable results.
They are much better bought from a bakery or dim sum restaurant instead
of pre-packaged from a market.

Back
Top Bottom