Black raspberry jam problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherie_23

Assistant Cook
I made the jam according to a pectin recipe & its almost too set. It's thick & gummy. Tastes kinda weird. Maybe I shouldn't have used pectin? Maybe I boiled it too long? Thoughts anyone?

Can you post the recipe with what you did so we can troubleshoot it for you?

My own recipe is pretty simple and has no pectin in it so I think I'd go with the pectin being the issue for you.

Can you post the recipe with what you did so we can troubleshoot it for you?

My own recipe is pretty simple and has no pectin in it so I think I'd go with the pectin being the issue for you.

It was in the Surejel box..5 1/2 cups berries, 6 cups sugar, 1 box pectin. I made 2 small batches. The first came out pretty well, the 2nd did not. I'd never made it before. I should've just eaten those berries..

LOL! My recipe is 6 cups berries 6 cups sugar and a timed boil. Works like a charm everytime. I think some berries have more liquid in them than others and that might be the reason one batch worked and the other didn't.

Blackcaps

We are growing blackcaps and I had the same result last year when I tried making jam. The pulp was very thick and sticky. The color and texture were not very appetizing to look at. This year we have a bumper crop. Large sweet berries, but not juicy. They also have a few large seeds which need removed if I want to make jam. Can anyone recommend a recipe to make jam from these?

Grandma Pat, try this recipe. Its the only one I ever use.

I admit though that I don't use hot water process, I just top each jar with paraffin.

Homemade blackrasberry jam

I made blackrasberry jam, it taste great but way to thick and stiff. What to do to fix it?

I made blackrasberry jam, it taste great but way to thick and stiff. What to do to fix it?

Try stirring in some heated grape juice, water, or red wine. Welcome to DC!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom