Hangover food/Comfort Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
I love this (am about to make it, in fact) - the recipe is trivial: brown a chunked-up chicken breast, slop in the mushroom soup, put some spices - mostly thyme, slather over rice...

Any thoughts on how to zing up this basic idea in a cool and easy way?

change the word chicken 'chunks', to chicken 'pieces' first and foremost.
23.gif

i'd add sage, ground, and a little milk. maybe put the breast in to brine the night before. try over orzo instead of rice. or mix with orzo. add a little worcestershire to soup mixture and a little heavy cream or cream cheese.

"pieced-up chicken breast"? lol

What's ground?

EDIT: And you were ok with "slopping" the soup, and "slathering" over rice? LOL

hey, you asked, i answered. if you can't take criticism, don't ask. and you know what i mean: 'pieces of chicken'. gimme a break.

luvs_food said:
hey, you asked, i answered. if you can't take criticism, don't ask. and you know what i mean: 'pieces of chicken'. gimme a break.

o no - the language police hath taken umbrage at mine words! lol

I'd use my basic chicken seasoning, a little thyme, a little sage, and a little paprika. Also, instead of basic white rice, I'd make my basic rice pilaf and serve the chicken over the pilaf. Add a little thyme, sage, and paprika to the pilaf, and use chicken stock.

Yields: 3 – 4 servings

½ c rice
1 T orzo pasta
1 T butter
2 T diced onions
2 mushrooms, diced
½ t garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
one sprig of thyme
1 c stock
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a saucepan. Melt the butter. Add the onions, mushrooms, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sweat them until the onions are transparent. Add the rice and orzo pasta. Increase heat to medium. Sauté until the orzo browns slightly and the rice begins to pop and “frizzle”. Deglaze the pan with the stock. Check the seasoning, and add some more salt and pepper as needed. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 18 minutes.

Cool - thanks Allen!

Hmm... that the second orzo suggestion... guess I'm gonna have look it up and see what exactly it is... lol

Thanks again!

Orzo is a pasta that is roughly the same size and shape as rice grains. Depending on the brand, there are slight shape and size differences, but these are all basically the same thing.

Think "Rice-a-Roni", the flavored/seasoned vermicelli/rice packaged junk that you can get at the store. It's based on the classic Rice Pilaf, even down to the cooking method.

AllenMI said:
Orzo is a pasta that is roughly the same size and shape as rice grains. Depending on the brand, there are slight shape and size differences, but these are all basically the same thing.

Think "Rice-a-Roni", the flavored/seasoned vermicelli/rice packaged junk that you can get at the store. It's based on the classic Rice Pilaf, even down to the cooking method.

Ah so... Kinda like couscous then? A bit bigger I suppose... (I think couscous is pasta, isn't it?)

You are also right that orzo is bigger than couscous. Orzo is roughly the size of a long grain rice.

I would just toss some garlic into your original equation, some mushrooms, maybe some leftover gravy and serve on toast. Mmmmmmm chicken goop on a shingle!!!

Alix said:
You are also right that orzo is bigger than couscous. Orzo is roughly the size of a long grain rice.

I would just toss some garlic into your original equation, some mushrooms, maybe some leftover gravy and serve on toast. Mmmmmmm chicken goop on a shingle!!!

Ooh! Garlic! How could I ever forget that....

I'm not actually a fan of mushrooms (ducks shoes flying at head) - tho I love mushroom soup - go figure - lol

mmmm..... chicken goop....

:)

Alix said:
Red pepper bits then? (Not a big mushroom fan here either, but I know lots of folks are)

Ooh - that works! Adds a bit of color to boot!

(Of course I've already made and eaten the dish I was initially talking about, but as sure as the fact that I'll be hungover sometime in the future, I'll be taking these suggestions on board as well...)

kitchenelf said:
How about a bit of white wine added to that soup - also tarragon is a nice flavor change to the sage and thyme.

Can't dial up what tarragon tastes like.... can recall it being very common with chicken dishes tho - I'm game!

I actually did put some nice wine in it - chardonnay iirc.... was excellent!

Tarragon has a slight licorice flavor - I don't like black licorice but I like tarragon - adds a really nice flavor - yep, tarragon and chicken go hand in hand!! I make a "mean" tarragon chicken dish!!!

Back
Top Bottom