Medium-rare duck breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
Does anyone know why it's generally considered OK to cook duck breast medium-rare? I tried Google, but all I found was a lot of amateur speculation.

I always cook duck breasts to medium - medium rare. I've had it served to me that way in restaurants.

Actually, duck is as susceptible to bacteria as any other poultry, particularly listeria and salmonella. Check this article:

Food Poisoning Bacteria Prefer Duck To Beef On Meat Factory Surfaces

This site recommends cooking duck to an internal temperature of 70 degrees Centigrade (158 Fahrenheit):

"Should duck be cooked to an internal temperature less than 70°C as per the requirements for poultry? It is common practice to have duck pink and bloody in the middle - but is it associated with salmonella? The practice of serving duck pink in the middle is traditional practice in restaurants, and yes there is a potential risk of salmonella. It is suggested that if the duck is not pierced by a knife or similar object then bacteria have not been introduced to the duck breast. This is similar to rare or blue steaks. However, to be safe, cook your ducks thoroughly."

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if the duck if purchased from a reliable source and seems to be in good shape, but OTOH I wouldn't serve rare duck to kids, old folks, or anyone with compromised health.

Back
Top Bottom