Freezing squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
I wondered how anyone else is putting squash up in the freezer. The only way we like to eat it is fried. My SIL told me she blanches in hot oil. I had never heard of this, but I tried it and I think I cooked it too long. Also I tried using the method of freezing okra, batter it and fry until almost done, wrap in foil, then when ready to use just cook in the oven while your cooking cornbread. The okra is good like that, so we'll see if it works with squash. Any ideas out there?:)

By fried squash do you mean like fried green tomatoes, eggplant etc...Cut into wheels, meal and fried???

With okra for frying, gumbo etc....cut/slice, bag and freeze. For boiling...a quick blanch in water...lay out on a cookie sheet in the freezer. When frozen...remove from the cookie sheet and bag...It is individually frozen so you can get out as much as you want....

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking about summer squash.
The okra that you are going to fry- you don't blanch? I thought you had to blanch just about everything? It would be a lot easier to put up without the blanching.

Yes I knew you were talking about summer squash....I'm just not clear on what you mean by 'fried"....We slice raw squash, meal/flour, and fry. Also we cook squash along with caramelized onion, butter, etc....Which method (or different) are you talking about?

Okra for frying/gumbo/soup has always been cut, bagged, and frozen..No blanch...Modern "How To" books may say/suggest something different. We have Never had a problem. Okra for boiling etc. as a stated above....

A neighbor of mine says it works great, but one should blanch the sliced squash first. I over did the brief steam/boil last year and wound up with mushy yuk that we tossed out. Good luck.

I would just like to be able to fry squash in the winter time that would taste a lot like it does in the summertime. I have put it up that would be like mush when fried. I have no problem with okra, but not sure how I can freeze squash.

Again...If you mean "fry" in the same sense as fry okra, fry eggplant etc...It ain't gonna happen...Once you freeze squash, and thaw it...it's pretty much soft. You can however cook the thawed squash with some diced onion into a semi-thick consistency...stir in some flour/meal, and an egg...make squash patties and fry. Delicious!

I agree with UBob, there is a lot of water in summer squash, and when one freezes it it will be mushy when thawed. (bursting of cell walls and all that...)

Yes, frying like okra, so I don't think I will be able to use the squash for that. Think I will try the squash patties, that sounds good. Thanks, Faye

Back
Top Bottom