Granton edge or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ-Jim

Assistant Cook
Hello to all,
I am looking to buy a Mundail 5100 8" chefs knife, but can't decide whether to get it with a granton edge or just a plain blade.
What do you all think?
Jim

I don't own any granton edged knives and don't feel I should. I have read they are not very effective.

My vote would be for the plain edge. I have used a few different good quality blades with granton edges and have found them to be nothing more than decoration. I did see a demonstration of one that looked like it did work as advertised though. The difference is that this blade had the grantons on the entire surface of the blade, not just the edge.

Another vote for plain edge. I don't think the grantons do much, if anything -- it's mostly theory, IMHO.

Thanks for the replies,
Plain blade it is...... now red handle or black ????? decisions... decisions...

Thanks
Jim

I agree the granton edge on my santuko knife is no special feature.

So I don't think it matters much if you buy plain or granton.

Hey GB are you sure ???? I was thinking that the red would always be sharper... :chef: Or maybe I'm just really that different..:LOL::LOL:

Jim

Well there are some people here who will fight you to the death trying to convince you that red is sharper, but they are wrong ;)

Got the red handle... I just couldn't resist.... I would recomend this knife to anyone looking for a really nice chefs knife....
Jim

Granton edges have semi-circular scallops ground into the edge that alternate on either side of the knife and extend from the edge to the middle of the blade. This edge was designed and patented in 1928 by Granton Ragg Ltd.[1] A similar design, kullenschliff (kulle is Swedish for hill; schliff means sharpened in German), has oval scallops (kullar) hollowed-out of one or both sides of the blade above the edge. These are normally found on meat carving knives but have recently appeared on other types of knives, especially Western variations of the Japanese santoku. The design of scallop-sided blades is an attempt to ease the cutting and separation of meats, cheese, and vegetables.

Lifted from Wikipedia (not that that is a completely reliable source)

IMHO, this is a fine example of theory that doesn't pan out in practice. I do not find that the hollows t make cutting noticeable easier, nor do they help to separate the slices. IOW, it's BS.

IMHO, this is a fine example of theory that doesn't pan out in practice. I do not find that the hollows t make cutting noticeable easier, nor do they help to separate the slices. IOW, it's BS.
It is only BS when implemented poorly, which is how almost all the knives with them I have seem have been. When implemented properly (cullens not just on the edge, but on the entire surface of the knife) then it actually works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom