Frontera Margarita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
This is a recipe I just made for the first time right now. For those of you noticing what time I made this post (8:30am) do not worry. I am not having Margaritas for breakfast ;). This recipe actually needs to steep in the fridge for 6-8 hours. I have not tasted it yet so my review will come later tonight or tomorrow. This is a recipe from Rick Bayless. I have changed the wording of the recipe to comply with copyright law.

1 1/3 cups tequila (I used Milagro Anejo)
1/4 cup orange liqueur (I used Gran Marnier)
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup water
ice cubes for serving

This recipe needs to be made 6-8 hours in advance so plan ahead. Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a serving pitcher and stir well until the sugar is dissolved. Cover the pitcher and put in the fridge for at least 6 hours to let the flavors mingle.

To serve you can pour it over ice or put ice in a shaker and chill that way. Garnish with lime wedges and salt on the rim if you like.

Last edited:
This is a recipe I just made for the first time right now. For those of you noticing what time I made this post (8:30am) do not worry. I am not having Margaritas for breakfast ;). This recipe actually needs to steep in the fridge for 6-8 hours. I have not tasted it yet so my review will come later tonight or tomorrow. This is a recipe from Rick Bayless. I have changed the wording of the recipe to comply with copyright law.

1 1/3 cups tequila (I used Milagro Anejo)
1/4 cup orange liqueur (I used Gran Marnier)
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tsp finely grated lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup water
ice cubes for serving

This recipe needs to be made 6-8 hours in advance so plan ahead. Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a serving pitcher and stir well until the sugar is dissolved. Cover the pitcher and put in the fridge for at least 6 hours to let the flavors mingle.

To serve you can pour it over ice or put ice in a shaker and chill that way. Garnish with lime wedges and salt on the rim if you like.

ohhhh, I'm into experimenting today;)...have everything except the lime thingies, but I do have lime oil...think lime oil might work okay?

Well ime oil would probably work in place of the zest, but it would not be a replacement for the lime juice. I do not think this recipe would work well enough to use without the fresh lime juice. It seems to be an important ingredient. The good thing is that if you buy 3 or 4 limes then you have both the juice and the zest.

finely grated lime juice....
haven't had any yet.....

liar liar pants on fire! :LOL:

I can't wait to hear how these turn out - we love a good margarita!

KE does your store only sell wine or do you guys do booze too? If you do hard stuff, do you carry Milagro tequila? It is my new favorite alcohol. I like it much better than Patron.

Only wine - hard stuff has to be sold under a different license and in a different store here. I'll have to look for that tequilla.

Have you ever had Patron Cafe? Over ice it's "da bomb" :ermm:

I don't think I have had the cafe, no. I will have to look for it.

Check out Milagro here. I have had the reposado and the anejo. I actually like the reposado better which is good because it is less expensive. I love the bottles too. They are as cool looking as the tequila is good tasting.

So we drank these Margarita's yesterday and man were they good. One drink was all we needed. My wife actually winced at the first sip because it was quite strong, but I found it delicious and full of flavor. I am really not sure what the steeping time did if anything though. I can not imagine that letting the mixture sit for 8 hours improved the flavor. Maybe next time I will make them and serve them right away to see if I can tell a difference. I doubt it will really matter.

GB

Do you have recipes for any other of his drinks?

My mom and I go to Frontera once or twice a year and we both had spectacular cocktails the last time. Hers was a pomegranit mojito and mine was white tequila and ruby red grapefruit juice and something else.

We keep trying to replicate the mojito but haven't gotten it right. But have had a fun time trying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom