Getting grants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Anyone know where I can find info about gettin grants for school where I don't have to pay them back like a Pell Grant, but for all the other bills such as housing, meal tickets?

Talk to the financial aid people at your college, Derek, and do some internet searching. Check the website of the college you want to attend to see if there are any special scholarship programs.

Talk to the financial aid people at your college, Derek, and do some internet searching. Check the website of the college you want to attend to see if there are any special scholarship programs.

CC - I hope this link heads you in a right direction.

Bob

Free College Grants to Pay for Your Higher Education
Thank you guys and girls, Casper, if I have to pay to use a site that kind of defeats my purpose to free education, LOL!

but I will take a gander at the site right now!

my financial represenatives got me mine! cept there weren't grants for what you're looking for! i'd search scholarships.

Derek, most colleges and universities, particularly small private and highly selective schools such as Flagler, work very hard to find scholarships, grants, and loans for those students they accept. They have to because otherwise very few students could afford the tuition, fees, and room & board, which can total more than $50,000 per year.

At my old school, for example, which estimates these costs to by $52,960 for the 2009-2010 academic year, more than 75% of the students receive some financial aid. The school arranges for the aid because most students simply couldn't attend without it -- God knows I couldn't have!

Anyway, the first hurdle is to get in. Flagler is pretty selective, and I'm confident that if it accepts you, the college will make sure you can cover the costs.

Here's some more information on Flagler: Flagler College, Florida

Derek, most colleges and universities, particularly small private and highly selective schools such as Flagler, work very hard to find scholarships, grants, and loans for those students they accept. They have to because otherwise very few students could afford the tuition, fees, and room & board, which can total more than $50,000 per year.

At my old school, for example, which estimates these costs to by $52,960 for the 2009-2010 academic year, more than 75% of the students receive some financial aid. The school arranges for the aid because most students simply couldn't attend without it -- God knows I couldn't have!

Anyway, the first hurdle is to get in. Flagler is pretty selective, and I'm confident that if it accepts you, the college will make sure you can cover the costs.

Here's some more information on Flagler: Flagler College, Florida
Same here, and I am making my dream happen, The only thing that will not make my dream happen is my death!

I have to go to my college tomorrow and talk to the financial aid people and ask why I didn't get approved for the fall semester. However if they say it's too late to apple, I'm borrowing $1,567 from my mom and step father to continue my education, and to continue my dream to flager collage.

Consider a community college in the meantime. Community colleges are a very good alternative for the first two years. Cost is very low compared to private schools, you can get a lot of the required courses out of the way, and you can usually transfer all of your credits to the 4-year school. In California, there's a great program that guarantees you admittance to the University of California system once you complete your A.A. degree at a California community college. Some of the community colleges have wonderful campuses, excellent faculty and programs. They're no longer "high school with ashtrays." Check it out!

Consider a community college in the meantime. Community colleges are a very good alternative for the first two years. Cost is very low compared to private schools, you can get a lot of the required courses out of the way, and you can usually transfer all of your credits to the 4-year school. In California, there's a great program that guarantees you admittance to the University of California system once you complete your A.A. degree at a California community college. Some of the community colleges have wonderful campuses, excellent faculty and programs. They're no longer "high school with ashtrays." Check it out!
Yup that's what I'm doing right now, I'm taking a community college courses, I'm starting Spanish and photo II in August 21. As soon as I pass both the new coarse in the fall semester I should have 11 credits all together for liberal arts.

Then in the winter semester I'm taking either Drawing 1 or Spanish II, I'm not sure which route I want to go yet.

YOu have to be talented to get a scholarship?

And How much did you get Luvs, if I may ask?

i'll message you! i haven't gotten any scholarships yet! it doesn;t require, often, more than an essay! give it a try! i try.

...I have to go to my college tomorrow and talk to the financial aid people and ask why I didn't get approved for the fall semester....
Derek, I think it might be helpful for you to understand the complicated process used by colleges and universities to select students.

It's not simply a matter of filling out an application and showing up for classes one day. Rather, it's very highly competitive at some schools, including Flagler.

According to that site I mentioned earlier (CLICK ME), Flagler is in the top 11% of all colleges when it comes to selectivity. It accepts only 40% of all applicants, meaning that 6 out of 10 who apply are turned down. Also, the average SAT scores are fairly high -- according to that site, "In 2007, SAT verbal scores of half of students [accepted to Flagler] were 520 to 610. Three-fourths of students accepted in 2007 had SAT math scores of 510 or more." That's a high standard.

The people who decide which applications to approve look at several things other than SAT scores: high school grades, extracurricular activities (sports, band, student government, clubs, etc.) and activities outside of school (community and political activities, charity work, church, Scouts, and anything else that shows initiative and leadership). They also give preference to "legacies" -- applicants whose parents or other family members attended the school. And they want balance and diversity, not just sex and race but also where the applicants are from -- out-of-state and foreign students sometimes have an advantage because most schools figure that it's good for students to meet people from a variety of backgrounds. I also noticed that only 6% of Flagler's students are over 30, which I think is pretty typical of most liberal arts colleges.

Anyway, my point is that it's a very complicated and sometimes unfair process, but picking a few from a bunch of good applicants can't be easy.

This article on the subject from the L.A. Times may be of some interest to you: For college hopefuls, a rise in rejection - Los Angeles Times

In any case, I hope you do get to attend Flagler, but if you don't get in, it's not the end of the world. There are plenty of good schools out there, and in the end what's most important is your desire to learn. You have the spark -- don't let it die!

Derek, I think it might be helpful for you to understand the complicated process used by colleges and universities to select students.

It's not simply a matter of filling out an application and showing up for classes one day. Rather, it's very highly competitive at some schools, including Flagler.

According to that site I mentioned earlier (CLICK ME), Flagler is in the top 11% of all colleges when it comes to selectivity. It accepts only 40% of all applicants, meaning that 6 out of 10 who apply are turned down. Also, the average SAT scores are fairly high -- according to that site, "In 2007, SAT verbal scores of half of students [accepted to Flagler] were 520 to 610. Three-fourths of students accepted in 2007 had SAT math scores of 510 or more." That's a high standard.

The people who decide which applications to approve look at several things other than SAT scores: high school grades, extracurricular activities (sports, band, student government, clubs, etc.) and activities outside of school (community and political activities, charity work, church, Scouts, and anything else that shows initiative and leadership). They also give preference to "legacies" -- applicants whose parents or other family members attended the school. And they want balance and diversity, not just sex and race but also where the applicants are from -- out-of-state and foreign students sometimes have an advantage because most schools figure that it's good for students to meet people from a variety of backgrounds. I also noticed that only 6% of Flagler's students are over 30, which I think is pretty typical of most liberal arts colleges.

Anyway, my point is that it's a very complicated and sometimes unfair process, but picking a few from a bunch of good applicants can't be easy.

This article on the subject from the L.A. Times may be of some interest to you: For college hopefuls, a rise in rejection - Los Angeles Times

In any case, I hope you do get to attend Flagler, but if you don't get in, it's not the end of the world. There are plenty of good schools out there, and in the end what's most important is your desire to learn. You have the spark -- don't let it die!
Well Scotch, I know your trying to send advice my way about getting into a hard school such as flager, However I have 2 cards up my sleeve.

So wish me the very best luck, I will need it.

Good! I hope you make it in!
Me too, And Scotch, This is what I'm banking on "one of my cards up my sleeve"

Flagler College accepts credits transferred from any regionally-accredited junior college, college or university as long as the student earned a "C" or better grade in the courses.

Applicants transferring from another institution must be in good standing and have a satisfactory grade point average for all work attempted, must be eligible to return to the institution last attended and must furnish satisfactory evidence of good character.

Students transferring from a community or junior college may be awarded up to 64 semester hours of credit. Transfer students must submit an official transcript from each college and/or university previously attended and provide official score reports from either the SAT or the ACT. Recipients of the AA degree are generally admitted as juniors and may transfer up to three courses in which a "D" was earned, provided the total number of transfer credits does not exceed 64 semester hours.

The College also considers International Baccalaureate higher-level credentials for possible transfer credit. Courses are evaluated on an individual basis, and the amount of credit and placement are subject to academic department approval. Course credit is generally granted for each higher-level examination passed with a score of 5, 6 or 7 in courses comparable to Flagler courses and appropriate to the degree program.
The amount of transfer credit and advanced standing allowed by the College will be determined by the Registrar. In some instances, the department chairperson may be consulted prior to awarding transfer credit.
Questions regarding transferring to Flagler College should be directed to the Registrar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom