Where can I find cookware USA made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anonymous

Senior Cook
I put this in another post but thought I might get better feedback here.

Was searching for a new set of good cookware prefferably non-stick, I have run across many products out their. I wanted to know of which of the many companies out there produce products made in America. I found all-clad but that is a heafty price tag to bear.
Can anyone help?

I believe Analon is only produced overseas. Some Calphalon cookware is made in the US but most of their lines are from China.

And...be careful with All-Clad. Informed sources tell me that a lot of their stuff is imported. Don' know myself as I won't pay their exorbitant prices. I bought one "Try-Me" piece a few years back. Good pan...but way overpriced.

Again I find myself agreeing with Iron Chef here. I no longer care where things are made. If they are well-made and a good value. In fact just picked up a set of cookware to review for my website that I think is made in China. I will get back to you as this looks REAL promising AND under 100 bucks a set!

Perhaps the cookware made in China is as good or better than that made elsewhere, but the reasons to buy USA-made -- or at least Not made in China -- include: buying American-made goods keeps American working (this is important); we have to ask ourselves why items made half way across the world (and thus have to be shipped half way across the world) are so much cheaper than something without the shipping charges. One answer is "slave labor in China." Even if it weren't slave labor, China still oppresses its people and our purchases of China imports help the government continue to do so. As Warren Buffet once said (I'm paraphrasing but have his idea exactly) Americans are trading their economic health for cheap "trinkets." I buy nothing made in China and try to buy American-made when possible. It is almost always more expensive, but worth it. I have also found that American-made goods are usually superior. I just had to purchase new cookware and ended up buying a set made in France since I couldn't find anything from the USA.

very little is made here anymore. Most All Clad is (a few promo and accessories are not) made in PA. Very little Calphalon is USA produced anymore. Nordicware is USA made as was some Farberware (and may still be). Kitchen Craft & Lodge cast iron ware (and they make good enameled cast iron too) are classic American. All of these have websites you can checkout.

Last edited:
Perhaps the cookware made in China is as good or better than that made elsewhere, but the reasons to buy USA-made -- or at least Not made in China -- include: buying American-made goods keeps American working (this is important); we have to ask ourselves why items made half way across the world (and thus have to be shipped half way across the world) are so much cheaper than something without the shipping charges. One answer is "slave labor in China." Even if it weren't slave labor, China still oppresses its people and our purchases of China imports help the government continue to do so. As Warren Buffet once said (I'm

I recommend reading Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. There is much more to the global economy than jobs being in the USA or in China.

Many of the products we all buy regularly are made outside the USA. Even American car brands have significant content from Mexico and Canada. It's nearly impossible to buy a TV or any other electronics device made in the USA.

Just because it's made overseas does not mean slave labor is employed. The standard of living in other countries is lower so a reasonable living wage is less, allowing the manufacture of lower cost products. Foreign citizens clamor for factory jobs because they are the best paying jobs around.

I realize there are exceptions, such as the child labor factories that have been in the news, but in general, our dollars going overseas are helping to improve their economies.

I have 5 or 6 pieces of Lodge Cast Iron which is made in Tennessee. It is high quality stuff. I really have never run across alot of cookware, or for that matter anything else that is made here. It is a really big deal to DH, so whenever I try to buy anything he loudly announces it's origin to me. So, I am pretty sure that finding American made products is pretty hard to do these days.

Andy M. said:
Many of the products we all buy regularly are made outside the USA. Even American car brands have significant content from Mexico and Canada. It's nearly impossible to buy a TV or any other electronics device made in the USA.

Just because it's made overseas does not mean slave labor is employed. The standard of living in other countries is lower so a reasonable living wage is less, allowing the manufacture of lower cost products. Foreign citizens clamor for factory jobs because they are the best paying jobs around.

I realize there are exceptions, such as the child labor factories that have been in the news, but in general, our dollars going overseas are helping to improve their economies.

Amen, Andy. And I used to drive a Toylet (half Toyota, half Chevrolet). The marketing name for this gem was Nova.

lead anyone?

Isn't anyone concerned about the possibility of Chinese made cookware made with a little lead instead of 100% stainless steel??

very little is made here anymore...Lodge cast iron ware (and they make good enameled cast iron too) are classic American. All of these have websites you can checkout.

Lodge enameled cast iron is made in China.

It takes some tendin' but, IMHO, the best cookware is cast iron....Lodge, Griswold, among others. It will last a lifetime and the more it is used the better it gets. YMMV.

Is it just my area, or is Lodge cast iron becoming harder to find in stores? It used to be everywhere, even hardware and sporting goods stores, but now it's all China-made stuff. Normally, I'm not much for chest thumping on the superiority of America-made products, but some of those skillets are just terrible. Giant pockmarks on the cooking surface, off center handle portions, and uneven rims show very poor quality control in the casting department. I'm also concerned (maybe just a bit paranoid) about lead in heavy, metal objects and glazes.

I'm also concerned (maybe just a bit paranoid) about lead in heavy, metal objects and glazes.

With all of the reports of toys being made with lead, it doesn't seem paranoid to worry that manufacturers in China would skimp and use lead in cookware. Lead is much cheaper and easier to use than stainless steel.

Lots of good points. In addition to cookster's, no one has mentioned it is cheaper to produce some products overseas because of the lack of regulation, like environmental regulation, export/import regulation, labor regulation, oversight, etc. All things are not created equally. Making good choices for me starts with American first. If the best is French or German, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom