Top Chef TV show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovelondon

Assistant Cook
I am watching 'Top Chef' a 'new' America-based series on the UK's cable tv food channel. Is it a new show? How successful is it in America? Is it on mainstream tv? I've seen three episodes so far - really enjoyable.

I believe season six will be starting soon, can't wait. Right now Bravo is showing Top Chef Masters, not as good as the normal show but I do enjoy seeing the chefs struggle with some of the challenges.

I do enjoy seeing the chefs struggle with some of the challenges.

I love it when they make them create things from vending machines or all one color or something of that nature.

I just like to see what they can do! I have a full pantry and struggle with "concocting." lol

I love the show - have the cookbook! We only get to see it after its US run though and I have usually heard who the winner is before it starts, (not here, it's just hard to miss sometimes), but I still love them. Can't wait until the Masters comes here. I'm routing for Elizabeth Falkner (nobody tell me if she loses, please!)

On the whole, I think the Top Chef series are the more serious of the best cook series (i.e. Hell's Kitchen, etc.). Some of the soap opera drama gets a bit much (season 5 with the "kiss" for one), but the cooking is great.

... On the whole, I think the Top Chef series are the more serious of the best cook series (i.e. Hell's Kitchen, etc.). Some of the soap opera drama gets a bit much (season 5 with the "kiss" for one), but the cooking is great.

That's the one thing I like better about Top Chef Masters, the lack of melodrama.

But, like it or not, it's the melodrama that sells!

Absolutely. All you have to do is watch the ads that Bravo runs for their other shows and that becomes abundantly clear.

Que Sera, Sera

I am watching 'Top Chef' a 'new' America-based series on the UK's cable tv food channel. Is it a new show? How successful is it in America? Is it on mainstream tv? I've seen three episodes so far - really enjoyable.

Getting back on topic...

1. No, season 6 starts next month.
  2. Very
  3. It's on basic cable (at least where I live).

I love it when they make them create things from vending machines or all one color or something of that nature.

I just like to see what they can do! I have a full pantry and struggle with "concocting." lol

I loved the vending machine challenge, Wylie was my favorite on that show. Unfortunately he had a bad day.

Watching these master chefs struggle and compete with each other makes them appear human and not quite so stuffy. I also noticed that many of them have a new appreciation for the contestants from the regular Top Chef show and what they go through.

Not for a chef. Funny, all the chefs I know, me included, prefer Top Chef Masters. It's so much more about the food. :chef:

I haven't seen it yet, CJ, but I have to agree with you. When I found out they were doing a Masters, I was really happy because I knew it would be more about the food and less about the drama.

But on that note I am unsubscribing to this thread cause I really don't know when we get it here in Canuck land and I don't want to know anything about it! :)

Back
Top Bottom