Simple butter sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the cookie monster

Assistant Cook
I have pretty much nothing in my kitchen except some seasonings and butter. I could go for spaghetti, but I'd like a butter based sauce to put on it. Does anyone have any recipes? I googled it and one recipe called for butter, flour, paprika, salt & pepper and a few other simple things. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

I like to cook the pasta, saving a ladle of the cooking water. Then in a large saute pan (big enough to hold the pasta, too), I'll melt some butter, add garlic, red pepper flakes (or sage, depending on mood), maybe some chopped onions, then add some cooking liquid and the pasta. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.

I like to cook the pasta, saving a ladle of the cooking water. Then in a large saute pan (big enough to hold the pasta, too), I'll melt some butter, add garlic, red pepper flakes (or sage, depending on mood), maybe some chopped onions, then add some cooking liquid and the pasta. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
This sounds really good! What measurements do you use with these ingredients?

measurements????????? I don't measure unless I am baking. it depends on the freshness of your herbs/spices, amount of pasta, etc. Just try it out. and have fun!

measurements????????? I don't measure unless I am baking. it depends on the freshness of your herbs/spices, amount of pasta, etc. Just try it out. and have fun!
Okay, I'll try. :-p I usually stick to recipes, I've never cooked anything by eye.

There's no time like the present! Try it out. I read cookbooks for the fun of it, the cook by eye/feel/taste/sound.

There's no time like the present! Try it out. I read cookbooks for the fun of it, the cook by eye/feel/taste/sound.
Very true. I've got half a box (8 oz) of spaghetti cooking, what measurements would you suggest? I just don't want to over-do anything.

Maybe a couple of tablespoons butter, 1/2 t. herbs, one garlic clove smashed, teaspoon of diced onion, 2 tablespoons starchy cooking water??? I am just guessing. Maybe someone else can chime in and let us know...

2 tablespoons of butter, one sprig each of whatever herbs you use. One garlic clove minced, or two if you love your garlic 1/4 of a small diced onion (sauteed until soft and translucent. 1/4 teaspoon of chili flake. 1/8 cup of your cooking water. When I am low on ingredients and need to make pasta I usually just heat some olive oil with garlic chili flake and melt an anchovie into the oil as well. a little black pepper and cheese on top and thats a wicked meal!

buerre noisette, or brown butter- simply throw whole butter into a heated skillet, let it be till the color of a hazelnut, swirl pour at once over cooked spaghetti. great with veggies, especially brocccoli. when you re-stock yoor pantry, you may wanna try this with sea scallops, pasta & broccoli. for now, pasta, beurre noisette, & parsley is a great choice! :)

Butter, fresh basil or parsley and salt stirred into the hot pasta. Roast the peppers and serve them on top of it. Yum!:)

I try to always have heavy cream in the fridge, not just for coffee, but to mix with butter for sauces and to add to gravies. Put the two together (butter and cream), add whatever spices or herbs you have on hand (it makes no difference - almost anything will work) and you have a sauce fit for a king! And if you want to get fancy, add a little shredded cheese (Not too much).

These are the foundations for classic French cooking, (butter, cream, cheese, herbs & spices).

We love sauteed mushrooms with butter,garlic, sweet onions sweet marsala and cream, put this over angel hair or linguine and everyone smiles.
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom