Give Me Your Gas Stove Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
My mother called me this morning and asked if I am still on that food board thingy because she needs some help. Her oven died the other day. It needs a very inexpensive part, but because her unit is 22 years old they no longer make the part so it is time to replace the whole thing. She is looking for your expertise.

She enjoys cooking and uses her stove and oven very often so she will want something decent. She was warned to stay away from American made units unfortunately because they supposedly break down very often and quickly. Is there any truth to this?

She wants a slide in self cleaning unit, with a simmer burner or alternate type burners and she wants convection. She is not concerned with aesthetics like stainless steel over black or whatever. What other options should she be looking for. What brands or models would you recommend?

Last edited:
I have a Jenn-Air for about 5 years - no problems at all.
I have no idea where it is made - they are owned by Whirlpool.
It has a 16000 BTU burner, a simmer burner, a 12000 BTU and
2 9000 BTU burners.

Gas stoves are pretty simple devices and I have repaired
a few in the past - not hard to do.

GB, the December '08 Consumers Report rated 30" gas ranges.

1. GE Profile
  2. Hotpoint
  3. Maytag
  4. GE
  5. Thermador
  6. Kenmore
Prices for the tested models range from $730-$1800.

Just about all have various sized burners.

If she's interested in a 30" dual fuel...

1. Bosch
  2. GE profile ( 2 models)
  3. Kenmore
  4. Wolf
Hope this helps.

Thank you both.

Andy, I am not sure if she considered duel fuel. What are the benefits and drawback of those if you know?

Thank you both.

Andy, I am not sure if she considered duel fuel. What are the benefits and drawback of those if you know?

The primary benefit is supposed to be that the electric oven maintains a more accurate temperature and puts less moisture into the oven than gas. I don't do enough baking to say I've witnessed a difference. Also, electric costs a lot more to operate.

If this info is for your mother, please please MAKE her get oven that cleans itself. that is dream I have had for long time and never got to use it.

also I would like to know what she finally gets. I am thankful she has son that is interested to take time to help out. Means a lot to her.

Back
Top Bottom