Raw carrot or cooked carrot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JiaJia618

Washing Up
If I eat carrot, which one is more nutritious ,the raw carrot or cooked carrot. I have read about a report, it says, if you eat raw carrot, you only can absorb 20% carrot’s nutrition, but if you eat cooked carrot, you can 98% carrot’s nutrition.Is that true? I think raw vegetables is better than cooked vegetables.What’s your opinion?

Not sure about carrot, but I know that cooked spinach is more nutritious than raw spinach. It has to do with how the nutrients are bound and released.

Not sure about carrot, but I know that cooked spinach is more nutritious than raw spinach. It has to do with how the nutrients are bound and released.

I can't send my blog on this forum.
One more question.Whether my blog address is under my message?Can you see that?

probably, just ask one. Not sure where to look, probably in the members list;
Alix, or kitchenelf could help you.

Signature line is in place, just won't be seen til JiaJia has the approved number of posts.

For the record, blog links that don't sell anything are fine. They just need to be in a sig line and not pushed with every post please.

If I eat carrot, which one is more nutritious ,the raw carrot or cooked carrot. I have read about a report, it says, if you eat raw carrot, you only can absorb 20% carrot’s nutrition, but if you eat cooked carrot, you can 98% carrot’s nutrition.Is that true? I think raw vegetables is better than cooked vegetables.What’s your opinion?
Well it depends on how you cook the carrot, Are you going to grill it? Are you going to pan fry it, steam it? smoke it? There is a lot of variables when it comes to cooking veggies as I'm finding out!

To add to it, I also just recently learned that certain things in veggies are only absorbed in the body if there is a little bit of fat to go along with it. If you just eat a raw or naked cooked carrot you are not getting as much out of it as if you use a little olive oil or butter.

I imagine it would be a pretty complex analysis. There's probably some destruction of certain nutrients by heating, but OTOH some nutrients may not be available unless the vegetable material is partially broken down by cooking, making it more digestible. I understand from several sources, for example, that dogs can't digest raw carrots -- which they love nonetheless. How to measure what's actually absorbed by the body would be tricky.

To add to it, I also just recently learned that certain things in veggies are only absorbed in the body if there is a little bit of fat to go along with it. If you just eat a raw or naked cooked carrot you are not getting as much out of it as if you use a little olive oil or butter.

That's like, the best justification I've ever read for buttering your carrots! :ROFLMAO:

I imagine it would be a pretty complex analysis. There's probably some destruction of certain nutrients by heating, but OTOH some nutrients may not be available unless the vegetable material is partially broken down by cooking, making it more digestible. I understand from several sources, for example, that dogs can't digest raw carrots -- which they love nonetheless. How to measure what's actually absorbed by the body would be tricky.

Clearly the solution is to eat twice as many carrots - half raw and half cooked.

Back
Top Bottom