Chicken and gnocchi soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any one whose been to olive garden and hasn't tried this delicoius soup is missing out. Got home and immediately went to work on trying to get a recipe for it.

soup:
1/3 cup butter
2 cloves minced garlic
package of chicken cutlets, cut into cubes
1/3 cup flour
1/2 package of baby carrots chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 package frozen spinach
1 1/2 cup heavy cream1 tablespoon chicken base(chicken bouillon)

1 container of chicken stock
salt and pepper
dash of red pepper flakes

gnocchi
1 qt water(might need more to cover potatoes)
3 oz all-purpose flour
1 eggs
1 lbs russet potatoes
1 tsp salt

Soup:

1. Melt butter
  2. add onions and sweat them out, then add garlic
  3. add chicken
  4. add flour to create a blond roux
  5. add everything else
  6. simmer for 3 hours
  7. add gnocchis and cook for another 5 minutes

Gnochi:

1. Wash potatoes and place in water. Cook potatoes until soft (cook time will depend on size of potatoes). Remove potatoes from water and cool in refrigerator.
  2. Peel cooled potatoes and push them through a fine grater (rice grater) until mashed; do not over-mash potatoes or they will get tough.
  3. Combine potatoes, flour and eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix well until dough does not stick to hands (add small amounts of flour at a time).
  4. Divide dough into 4 sections. Roll out each section into a long rope. Cut each rope into ½” pieces. Push fork tines on each piece for the classic gnocchi appearance.
  5. Bring water to a boil in a sauce pot. Drop in gnocchi and cook until they float.

I absolutely hate that restaurant, but I did have a soup there (it was some sort of sausage soup) that was really really good. This one sounds very tasty as well. If I am ever forced to go there again I will make sure to order this.

Earlier this past spring a lady friend and I had Olive Garden's Soup, Salad and bread special, and although I'm not normally a gnocchi fan, I did enjoy that soup enough to have a second helping.

I absolutely hate that restaurant, but I did have a soup there (it was some sort of sausage soup) that was really really good. This one sounds very tasty as well. If I am ever forced to go there again I will make sure to order this.
Ah yes the Zuppa toscana recipe is very good as well, but the chicken/gnocchi takes the cake! Heres the zuppa toscana recipe I use which tastes pretty much the same.

• 1 lb Italian sausage
  • 2 large russet bake potatoes , sliced in half,and then in 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 ounce bacon bits
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups swiss, chopped
  • 2 cans chicken stock
  • 1 quart water
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

• Cook sausage in a 300°F oven for approximately 30 minutes.
  • Drain sausages on paper towels and cut into slices.
  • Place onions, potatoes, chicken broth, water, garlic in pot, and cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
  • Add sausage and bacon.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • Simmer for another 10 minutes.
  • Turn to low heat.
  • Add swiss and cream.
  • Heat through and serve.

Hey fire,
Your thread had me craving the soup all day, so when I mentioned it to my DH he suggested we go to Olive Garden for dinner. When I got there I changed my mind though and had the Chicken & Gnocchi Veronese dinner instead. It was very good, a grilled chicken breast with italian dumplings, roasted red peppers in a parmesan and ricotta cheese sauce. My only complaint is I ate too much!:sick:

Hey fire,
Your thread had me craving the soup all day, so when I mentioned it to my DH he suggested we go to Olive Garden for dinner. When I got there I changed my mind though and had the Chicken & Gnocchi Veronese dinner instead. It was very good, a grilled chicken breast with italian dumplings, roasted red peppers in a parmesan and ricotta cheese sauce. My only complaint is I ate too much!:sick:
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I actually haven't had the veronese because i usually fill up tone the soup, but I hear it's very good as well.

Back
Top Bottom