Flavored Pistachios Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anonymous

Senior Cook
Does anyone know how to make those wonder flavored pistachios. I've just discovered them had some wonderful nuts made by the Nuts and Stems, but they are expensive........

I tried placing some pistacios in water briefly and then placing them in Old Bay and Cajun spices. The nuts had a nice flavor, but became soggy over night. So.....I popped them in the oven on low to dry then out a bit.

Secrets and suggestions please.

John

Presently going broke buying flavored nuts.

LOL Bigjohn - I have never even had them but I am going to guess - totally a guess so be kind - maybe a light spraying with an oil of some kind - tossing in desired seasoning and salt - then toasting/roasting in oven?

Let me know if you try this.

I have seen them cooked as follows, very much like kitchenelf's suggestion.

Tossed with a little bit of oil, and seasoning, and sauted in a pan.
Use a flavourless oil, like grapeseed, I think that would work best.

To do it right...

When I make flavored pistachios, I usually buy bulk nuts and marinade them.

The first thing that I do is to dry the nuts a little more than they are when I buy them. To do this, I put them in a large pot in the oven on low heat for a few hours, or leave them in the oven overnight with the oven light on. This increases the oven temperature to about 190 Deg Farenheit and does a good job.

After that I add about 1/2C of Kosher salt per 5 pounds of nuts, spices or liquors to season them, and then water to dissolve the spices (no water if liquor).

I let them soak for 2 or 3 days to absorb the flavors, agitating them at least once a day and adding more liquid or spices if the nuts dry. The nuts will be very soggy after this.

Then I roast them by putting them in an oven or Nesco with as much surface area as possible in contact with the air and dehydrate them at about 150 - 200 deg for 4 - 5 hours. Then I roast them at about 300 deg or slightly more for about 1/2 hour to 45 min.

It helps to spray them with olive oil, but I prefer butter. It really brings the nutty flavor out and makes the nuts all the more... well... nuttier.

This is a time consuming process, but the results are fantastic. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom