homeade BBQ sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With all th e bbq sauces on the market for most of us it's easier to just look them over and then grab one:LOL: But there are times I love making a sauce..When I do I start with a cube of melted butter, add crushed garlic,brown sugar,Dijon mustard,either soy sauce or ponzu,some wine,worchestershire sauce, catsup, at times orange juice.hooney and molasses. lots of ingredients, but on beef or pork it's great..Chicken gets a different type of bbq sauce..It is usually evoo,garlic,parsley,some butter white wine.
The grandkinds like a sweet bbq sauce on their chicken, so it's just butter,honey,brown sugar.
kadesma

Last edited:
Mine is easy, and gets raves, so here it is:
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
2 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Let simmer for a good while before throwing onto ribs or chicken....I always have sliced onions on the ribs before putting the sauce on

I usually make my own BBQ sauce. It does take a bit longer like anything else you'd make from scratch. But the recipes I've used have been pretty easy and quick. Why not give it a shot?
I recently checked out from the library the book How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman; in it he's got a basic BBQ sauce recipe (tomato based BBQ for us northerners!) along with 8 easy variations. His basic recipe is pretty similar to one I've used for a while for "pulled" chicken sandwiches. I even use tomato sauce in place of ketchup (which most recipes call for) and just add a touch more vinegar and seasonings to compensate. Makes for a healthier, less processed sauce.
This is a well-timed thread; it inspired me to look through my recipes, where I found a peachy BBQ sauce I was working on last summer. I just bought some peaches from the farmers market this morning - I think I'll make a batch this week! :)

I've never cared for the store bought.Too much vinegar.
Now I'll just make my own.You can add what you want to it.Adjust it to suit you.

Munky's Bbq Sauce

1 large bottle Heinz Ketchup
2 cloves of garlic
Or 1Tablespoon Garlic powder
1/4 cup Sweet white onion minced
Or 1 Tablespoon Onion powder
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Seasoning salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (The 4 peppers)
3 teaspoons of Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce
1/2 to 3/4 cup of Dark brown sugar

In a large bowl add the ketchup,spices,mix well.
Then add mustard,kitchen bouquet mix well
Add the brown sugar

Cover and leave it at room temperature until ready to use.

Store left over in a tight sealing container in the fridge for up to 1 week.

Other variants could include

Crushed Pineapple
Lemon juice
Cajun spices

BBQ Sauce

1 slice bacon
1 bunch fresh thyme -- ( I just use dried thyme if I havent fresh)
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 onion -- peeled
2 garlic cloves -- peeled
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Freshly ground black pepper

Start by wrapping bacon around 1 bunch of fresh thyme.

Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and thyme bundle and cook for 3-4 minutes to render the bacon fat.

Peel 1/2 onion and 2 garlic cloves and chop finely, and add to pan. Cook for 5minutes.

Add all other ingredients…..... 2 cups ketchup,, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup molasses, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon dry mustard, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground paprika, and some freshly ground black pepper to saucepan. Give the sauce a stir and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom