How do you make an edible potted meat sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
As promised, here's question number three?
How do you make your potted meat sandwich. C'mon. Don't be shy. You know you secretly love the stuff. :LOL: I do. It's pure comfort food from my childhood. But I detest deviled ham:sick::yuk:.

Ingredients;
1 can Libby's potted meat
2 tbs. Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
2 tbs. sweet pickle relish
1/8 cup finely chopped onion.
2 slices toasted whole wheat bread

Combine the potted meat, salad dressing, relish, and chopped onion. Spread a thick layer between the slices of toasted bread. Serve with Milk.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

How do you make an edible potted meat sandwich?

Without the potted meat :w00t2:

I remember watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern in his Hawaiian show. This guys eats bugs and live worms from all over the world, but can't stomach the thought of eating Spam potted meat. LOL!!!!

what the heck is potted meat?

It's usually found on the same grocery isle on the top shelf just down from the canned tuna. It is usually (ugh!) the bits and scraps left over from meat processing, cooked and then canned into small tins of 1/4 to 1/2 cup size. Spam, deviled ham, canned chicken are some examples. Chipped beef is a potted meat, but not made from scraps (it comes in a jar) and pound for pound, one of the most expensive meats you'll ever eat! The navy used to serve creamed chipped beef on toast for breakfast - and was the most expensive meal it served... including lobster stew.

Open can.
Gag and lean over sink.
Knock opened can on floor.
Pretend not to notice.
Continue gagging until dog comes to see what's up.
Kick can toward dog if necessary.
Continue gagging over sink until dog eats "meat."
Say "BAD DOG!"
Make onion sandwich with remaining ingredients.
Be happy.

Am I the only foodie around here that's not squeemish? I mean, I know people on this site who eat haggis! And if you go to a Fa (sp) restaurant in Tacoma, you will get honeycomb tripe in your soup. After all, it's just cartilage and collagen, the things that make a great soup great when you boil the bones and their connecting tissues. It's what Jello is made from. And the other ingredients, they are, after all, muscle tissue, just not from parts we normaly thing to eat from. But then again, in Mexico, hog's head soup is a sought after meal, due to the great flavors and muscles from the hog's head. And the hog ears, well, when pressure cooked, they are a fourmet sandwich ingredient in parts of the U.S.

It's all good.:cool:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Potted meat... I am a bit of a snob, and prefer Underwood's Deviled Ham.
But that 39 cent a tin No Name stuff has gotten inside of me more than a few
times. (I also like Vienna Sausages!):ohmy:

For me, the condiments and flavorings that can be used in the preparation of a
Canned Meat Sandwich are limited.... they must be available in a convenience
store's stock of single serving packages...
Mayo, mustard, hot sauce, relish, chopped onions are the classics, and they
are what I use. The hot sauce and mustard go on top.
And it should be eaten using plain soda crackers, not bread.

Yeah, I used to work convenience stores. Became kind of a guerrilla gourmet
trying to figure out interesting food combos from the cheap stuff. (This was
back when a hot dog roller machine was Fancy Deli food for a C-Store).

My philosophy has always been "if I eat a hot dog, no reason not to eat all the
other mystery meat products!!":LOL:

i eat underwood's Deviled Ham maybe once every other year on plain white wonder bread. but i can't stand the smell of underwood chicken spread!!

PS: Anything that lists as a primary ingredient "mechanically separated chicken" makes me worry.

What exactly does it mean to "mechanically separate" a chicken?!

More importantly, do I even want an answer to that question?!?!?!

what the heck is potted meat?

img_842919_0_ad56460ee82c691ef40e9db5717e942c.jpg

img_842919_1_c14899cdc284f0af56338e817f01d2aa.jpg

It's usually found on the same grocery isle on the top shelf just down from the canned tuna. It is usually (ugh!) the bits and scraps left over from meat processing, cooked and then canned into small tins of 1/4 to 1/2 cup size. Spam, deviled ham, canned chicken are some examples. Chipped beef is a potted meat, but not made from scraps (it comes in a jar) and pound for pound, one of the most expensive meats you'll ever eat! The navy used to serve creamed chipped beef on toast for breakfast - and was the most expensive meal it served... including lobster stew.

Spam is made from front shoulder meat. Its not left over scraps.

Am I the only foodie around here that's not squeemish? I mean, I know people on this site who eat haggis! And if you go to a Fa (sp) restaurant in Tacoma, you will get honeycomb tripe in your soup. After all, it's just cartilage and collagen, the things that make a great soup great when you boil the bones and their connecting tissues. It's what Jello is made from. And the other ingredients, they are, after all, muscle tissue, just not from parts we normaly thing to eat from. But then again, in Mexico, hog's head soup is a sought after meal, due to the great flavors and muscles from the hog's head. And the hog ears, well, when pressure cooked, they are a fourmet sandwich ingredient in parts of the U.S.

It's all good.:cool:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I used to eat it when I was a lot younger and drove a tractor. I would keep a few cans in my lunch box. But I have not had it in years.

Back
Top Bottom