Wish me luck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Luck GN.

Chilly is something I've never made before and never liked it untill I tasted some from this one place that was exelent. Hope to learn to make some one day.

Goodweed, you said the winner is generally soupy and mild. And, I would assume yours is fiery and bold!

So, the question is this....do you want to win or simply to compete with your very best?
If winning is your quest, cook for your audience. If doing your very best, and creating the hottest and most awesome chili on the planet is your goal, keep on keepin' on.

Either way, you are a winner!:chef:

Ok, so now I've gone and done it. I can't talk bad about the judges anymore. I departed from the norm and made a very flavorful, but not hot, white chili. And you just aren't going to believe this, but I won my category! There was no one more suprised than me.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ok, so now I've gone and done it. I can't talk bad about the judges anymore. I departed from the norm and made a very flavorful, but not hot, white chili. And you just aren't going to believe this, but I won my category! There was no one more suprised than me.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Wha'd I tell ya!!! Bravo!!!!

Grats! Being true to your own tastes is always the way to go! And I would also love to see the winning recipe, but would totally understand if you are reluctant to give up your secrets!

I'll have to make a small batch, so as to quantify the ingredient amounts for a recipe. But I can give you the ingredient list. Green tomatoes and tomatillos weren't available to me this year and so I had to improvise to get the target flavor. So here's what I used in my chili. A better recipe will be forthcoming as soon as I have some time to make a small batch.

Ingredients:

Great Northern Beans

Pinto Beans

Fresh White Onion

Salsa Verde (made with green tomato and tomatilla)

Hot Finger Peppers (about an inch long and yellow-green)

Jalepino Peppers

Heirloom Celery, with stems and leaves (fresh, and very strong)

Cilantro, Fresh (few could figure out what this herb flavor was, but could tell it was there, I live in the North, where such flavors are the exception rather than the rule)

Ground Coriander

Ground Cumen

Heavy Cream

Chicken Soup Base

Kosher Salt

Black Pepper

Lean Ground Round

Masa Harina (to thicken and give a great, secret flavor that drove everyone nuts trying to figure out what was different about it)

And there you have it, ingredients for prize winning chili. Now, you just have to figure out how much of each to put in.;)

And everyone, thanks for the kind support.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Good going Goodweed! I feel vindicated for all the times I came in third with my vegetarian chili and was told it was the best!

Hey, where did your red rank?

Good and bad new about the red; the bad new is it didn't place. My youngest sister made it, but didn't think it had strong enough seasonings. Where in years past, mine was too strong, this year, hers was a touch weak, though still very tasty.

The good new is; my youngest sister doesn't have a passion for cooking. But when I visited her today, I found her already planning for next year's competition. Of course I'll be asking her to join my team again. She's caught the competitive itch; and that's a good thing.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom