Wish me luck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
It's that time of year again, the Sault Ste. Marie chapter of the United Way Annual Chili Cookoff.

I've never won anything, but have been told by many in the crowd that I had the best in the place. Typically, the winner is someone like Girl Scouts, or Fire Station, or Boys and Girls Club. The winning recipe is always very soupy and bland. I don't stand a chance. But, I have have repeat tasters who have traveled from as far away as Grand Rapids Michigan (about a 4 hour drive) who came up because he wanted to again have more of my chili (he'd had some the year before). I also had a judge who had participated in big chili events in the SW U.S. tell me that my chili was the best in the place and that the judges in my little town are all crazy people who know nothing about chili.

What I love about participating in this event is that the crowd loves my chili and they keep coming back for 2nds and third helpings. I always make 6 gallons compared to most competitors 3 gallons (the minimum required amount) and have none left over. Many of the others can't say the same. That builds my ego, and yes I admit, it feels good to have one's ego stroked every now and again. It also gives me the chance to try new techniques and flavors, which I do every year. It's a blast watching people go nuts over your preperation. This year, there were no green tomatoes availabel for the white chili, so I'm going to have to be creative. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll be making my mother's recipe of red (which I've never done before, actually, my youngest sister is making that batch), while I make the white chili, 3 gallons of each. I'll be cooking tonight and serving it up tomorrow. If anyone is in the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan who sees this post, the cookoff starts at 4 p.m. tomorrow, the 11th, in Sault Ste. Marie, at the Pular Stadium. It would be such a hoot to meet someone from DC there. But I know that the chances are very slim. If anyone does amke it, I'll be the Farmer's Market team. In any case, I'll be having a whale of a good time tomorrow. Besides, I took a vacation day to do this, which means I won't be at work.:mrgreen: It's gonna be a very good day.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Go get 'em, Goodweed!!!!

And, HA!!! Finally, someone who thinks the way I do about chili. I have an award-winning (1 small award) green chili recipe, and I love it!
My folks are the ones who make and take my recipe to places where there are chili cook-offs. Either everything there is so screaming hot that it's practically inedible, or completely bland. Only a few people even know what green chili is, and they are usually the ones who appreciate a good red chili with flavor, not just atomic peppers in the pot.
So, here's my 2 cents: Even if you don't win this year, it's prolly because it's The Girl Scouts, or the Fire Department. Sounds like a "charity win" to me..... (sorry)
Maybe this is a good time to branch out, and attend a contest somewhere else? Go rack up some ribbons and trophies, and hang them on next year's booth!
:)

Good luck GW. If they judged based on passion then there would be no way you could lose.

To your DC friends, you are already a WINNER..
Best of luck
kadesma:)

Good Luck!!! I started looking for contests myself this year. I found one but it interferes with one of my band's shows so no luck there.

TAKE PICTURES!!!!!

Best of luck, and looking forward to hearing how it turns out! If you win, will you post the recipe???

I've been a Chili Judge here in Arkansas, in California and in Wyoming. The thing that I remember coming away with that was most important to me, was the fun, the smiles and the friendships that developed over a bowl of chili. Please, relax, talk to people and don't ever lose sight of the fun!

Sounds to me like you're the real winner, even if you don't walk off with the official prize. And anyway, if you did, what would you do then? They're probably holding out on you just to make sure you come back next year!

Hope you have a good day.

How much fun! I've only participated in a cookoff once, and I was just a helper bee (East Dubuque's chicken wing cook off). It was great fun. Lose or win, just a great time.

Back
Top Bottom