Bakeware Material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

md55

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone. There's been lots of discussion over what type of material is the best/safest for cookware, but I haven't been able to find too much info with regards to bakeware. What are some recommendations for the best/safest bakeware? I've read that aluminum bakeware is quite popular, but weren't there studies that linked it to alzheimer's? Should I stay away from non-stick ones? How about something like stainless steel since it's considered a pretty safe cookware material? Thanks for your help.

I've tried many combinations over the past 39 years and, without regard for cost, I've settled upon the following as the best and most convenient for me:

Stainless Steel wire racks
Non-stick aluminum cookie sheets and Spring-form Pan
Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Enameled Steel Roasting Pan
Glazed Ceramic Ramekins & Soufle Dish
Non-Glazed Ceramic 15" Pizza Stone (For pizza and free-form bread)
Everything else is Pyrex (Bread/Loaf Pan, Pie Pan, 8x8 & 9x13 Bakeware, etc.)

(And if you're concerned about Alzheimers and aluminum, check the ingredients in your deodorant - a major source of aluminum oxide that enters the body through glands.)

Baking different things can be best accomplished with different materials. One material I recommend is a silicone baking mat: it's a nonstick baking mat that's oven, freezer, and microwave safe. You can also just use plain aluminum pans with silicone coated parchment paper.

Back
Top Bottom