Meat Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the old style "nail type" thermometers have a glass face to the dial (NOT plastic) and is meant to be inserted before putting the roast in the oven and is left in the roast during baking so the temperature can be observed during the baking process. Think of it as a dial version of a turkey popup timer.

Sorry Chopstix, when I re-read my last post I see that I was not specific enough. Like Selkie mentioned, not all nail type are only to be put in after cooking. Some are supposed to be put in before. It all depends on the particular thermometer.

But yet, you are correct for the ones where you check after cooking that you still need to guess.

Older style meat thermometers stay in the meat during cooking.
Instant read thermometers do not stay in the meat during cooking. Both can be "nail type" thermometers.

Ok, thank you for the responses. Whether nail or probe type, I would prefer something reliable that gives the reading accurately during cooking so that all guess work, trial and error, are eliminated.

Check out the Polder ot Taylor brand probe thermometers. They are both well known brands that most people seem to like. You can get them for $20 or less.

I think you should try the digital Polder THM-360! That's what I use for a long time and I am totally satisfied

Learning to work with a thermometer has been a real lifesaver for when I entertain. I used an instant-read I got at a restaurant supply house for years, but eyes aren't what they were (even though my doc says they are) and wanted something with an easier read-out. Mine is now a polder with a lanyard to the probe that allows you to preset both a temp and a time. It allows me to sit and enjoy appetizers and drinks with my friends while it watches the meat. It also works on the grill. When the alarm goes off, I know to bring out the meat and do any last minute sides I couldn't do in advance. When I'm through the meat will have set for the right amount of time for carving. I have had one difficulty and that is placement of the probe to make sure the thigh on a large turkey (I usually do 20 lbs or thereabout) is done enough. The temp will say it's ok, but it is still not quite done (and, yes, I do allow for the fact that a frozen bird, especially if you had to force thawing, will always remain red at the joints). Usually it is no biggie, most guests really want the breast, an occasional leg person, and they're usually perfectly done, so I use the separate dressing and put the carcass back into the oven to finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom