Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Are you a food hoarder???? some disgusting video included.... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/are-you-a-food-hoarder-some-disgusting-video-included-59932.html)

kleenex 08-29-2009 02:31 PM

Are you a food hoarder???? some disgusting video included....
 
This afternoon on A&E they had on a Hoarders repeat with Jill from Wisconsin, first time I saw it. Man that kitchen was a mess. The odor must have been really special.... She even had pets!?!?!?!?

She had lots of rotted food in the house:sick::sick: and it was not freezer type items:sick::sick:

For just a small piece of video before the helpers arrived:
Hoarding Rotten Food on A&Es Hoarders [video] - Eat Me Daily

It is not pretty:sick::sick::sick: Too bad we did not have smell-o-vision on the TV sets:sad:

babetoo 08-29-2009 04:08 PM

that poor woman needs a shrink big time. i have know a couple of people like that. it blows my mind. one person thought veggies would last longer if she put in veggie drawer and covered with water. what she had was rotten food, floating in water.

shame on her family for letting it get this bad. whold thing is just disgusting

kleenex 08-29-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babetoo (Post 847931)
that poor woman needs a shrink big time. i have know a couple of people like that. it blows my mind. one person thought veggies would last longer if she put in veggie drawer and covered with water. what she had was rotten food, floating in water.

shame on her family for letting it get this bad. whold thing is just disgusting

On the show they did say she was seeing someone for her disorder.

I thought I was going to loose my lunch with her. Some of that food was just that gross.

Alix 08-29-2009 04:40 PM

Hoarding is a disorder. Folks know what they are doing is wrong, unhygienic, etc, they just can't help it. Sort of like kleptomaniacs who know it is wrong to steal but can't control that. I could go on, but you get the picture.

Its really really sad though isn't it? I can't even watch it most of the time.

jabbur 08-29-2009 05:27 PM

Hoarding is an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Most of the time OCD is thought to be folks who are excessively neat (Adrian Monk character) but there is the other end with hoarding. I live with a hoarder and it is a challenge to keep him in check. He has his areas where he can hoard but I keep the kitchen, the living room and bedroom hoard-free. He doesn't hoard food but mechanical stuff. It can be interesting some of the things he brings home because someone was throwing it out. Heaven forbid a single useable nut or bolt ends up in the landfill! He has gotten better with medication and an awareness of his problem.

kleenex 08-30-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabbur (Post 847957)
Hoarding is an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Most of the time OCD is thought to be folks who are excessively neat (Adrian Monk character) but there is the other end with hoarding. I live with a hoarder and it is a challenge to keep him in check. He has his areas where he can hoard but I keep the kitchen, the living room and bedroom hoard-free. He doesn't hoard food but mechanical stuff. It can be interesting some of the things he brings home because someone was throwing it out. Heaven forbid a single useable nut or bolt ends up in the landfill! He has gotten better with medication and an awareness of his problem.


Keep him forced out of certain areas. The Hoarder places on the TV show look like a wreck.

One guy living in an apartment who was on the show was told to clean the place up in one week or he was evicted. The cleaners made the place look spotless.

The Food hoarder I posted about was told to clean up or she would have been evicted as well. She made enough progress to stay in the house, but still has a long way to go.

sarah 08-31-2009 09:32 AM

oh my gosh i was just about to throw up!so grosssss and actually so stupid!:mad:

kleenex 08-31-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah (Post 848206)
oh my gosh i was just about to throw up!so grosssss and actually so stupid!:mad:

But for her that just seemed normal everyday life.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.