Guys - How do you shave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
OK I don't want to exclude the girls here too so anyone is welcome to answer.

When I learned how to shave I was using a double edged safety razor. From there I switched to an electric and from there I went to a cartridge razor. I have always been disappointed with the electrics so I won't use those anymore. I got a decent shave with the cartridge razors, but those blades are so expensive. I hate dropping my hard earned money on them.

A few years ago I learned about shaving oil. It is used instead of shaving cream or gel. You wet your beard and then put 2-3 drops in your palm and rub it into your beard. The great thing about it is that is goes on clear so you can see where you are shaving. It also comes in a very small bottle (about the size of eye drops) so it travels well. One bottle lasts me an entire year. I have really enjoyed using this stuff.

Well lately I have been feeling that my shaves have not been that great. I have not changed the way I do anything so I am not sure the issue. I decided to switch back to a safety razor. I picked one up over the weekend and have been using it the past few days and really liking it. It takes me about 5x as long to shave now, but I do not mind that right now.

I have been reading up on the art of shaving (yes there is an art to it) and have been learning a lot so I am going to attempt to do the old fashioned wet shave soon. I just ordered some real shaving cream (not the kind in the can) and a shaving brush made of badger hair. Does anyone here use this kind of shaving method? I am curious to hear about your experiences. It seems like if you have time to do it this way then it can be a sort of luxurious way to shave.

So have you ever shaved this way or what do you do to get those whiskers off your face?

Hey you gotta make sure you have a clean face so you don't have whiskers dropping into the soup you are making ;)

For those that use cartridge blades, how often do you change the blade out for a new one?

I have been using Gillette razors for the past 50 years. My first one was one of my father's.

I now use a Gillette Fusion Power and the Fusion shaving gel. It's a great combination for an easy and close, smooth shave.

I change blade carts when I notice the blades on my face. It hurts - I change carts. Forget about those blue strips that turn white when it's time to change. You'd go broke.

The key to a good shave is to moisten and soften your whiskers as much as possible. Use plenty of the hottest water you can stand to wet your face thoroughly. Apply the cream/gel/soap and rub it in so the rubbing action works it into the whiskers to further soften them.

Shave the easiest parts of the face first and leave the toughest for last so they can soften longer. That means the area around your mouth and chin are last, and the neck is next to last.

You really don't have to see through the shave cream to shave it. All the parts are where they were the last time.

And remember, you're going to do it every day so if you missed it today you'll get it tomorrow.

I have a Braun electric for my face & cartridge style for... other places.

I change blade carts when I notice the blades on my face. It hurts - I change carts. Forget about those blue strips that turn white when it's time to change. You'd go broke.
How often, on average, is that for you though? Can you go 4 or 5 weeks or do you get 4 or 5 shaves out of a cart?

You really don't have to see through the shave cream to shave it. All the parts are where they were the last time.
No you don't have to see, but sometimes it can help. For instance, it is much easier to make sure your sideburns or goatee are even if you can see.

How often, on average, is that for you though? Can you go 4 or 5 weeks or do you get 4 or 5 shaves out of a cart?

Closer to 4-5 weeks. I never checked how long. Being retired and having little need to shave, I only shave a couple of times a week. However, based on a daily shave, 4-5 weeks is more reasonable.

No you don't have to see, but sometimes it can help. For instance, it is much easier to make sure your sideburns or goatee are even if you can see.

Trim the sideburns last. Shave up to the burns, then wipe away any cream and trim. The lovely lady who cuts my hair gave me a tip. Using your two index fingers, place one fingertip at the exact bottom of each side burn, with the rest of each finger horizontal as if you were pointing to the side burns. You can then easily judge if they are even by comparing finger levels and trim accordingly. Do not try to judge evenness by matching the side burns to a point on your ears.

Similarly for the goatee. Shave up to the goatee then wipe off residual foam and do the fine tuning.

That is one way to do it. If you overshoot because you can't see though then that kind of stinks. I really loved being able to see what I was doing and not having to guess. There are more than one way to skin a cat though, that is for sure.

Gillette Fusion are great! I've used Gillette, ever since i stared to shave. I found the Fusion to give a really close shave. Although as mentioned earlier, the cost a fortune! Sadly though there just dosen't seem to be any other blades available that can give such a smooth finish!

Sadly though there just dosen't seem to be any other blades available that can give such a smooth finish!
Have you tried a safety razor? The blades are dirt cheap compared to the cartridge blades and I am finding that with time and patience I am getting a much closer shave then I ever did with my Fusion or any other similar razor. There is definitely more to it than just running the blade over your face so you do have to concentrate (blade angle is very important), but the closeness is unparalleled if done right. When I have done it right then I can run my fingers against the grain on my sideburns and not feel a thing. I never got that close with my Fusion. The Fusion did a really good job, but just could not get as close as my safety razor is getting.

Tomorrow my shaving brush and cream should arrive. It is perfect timing too as I think the cream part of the process will add even more time to my shave. I will get it tomorrow and Sat, when I have as much time as I need, I can try it out and see what kind of difference that makes.

I have tried a safty razor once, I just remember if felt like someone was epilating my face. Don't ask how i know how that feels.

I've always wanted to get shaved in a shop, although i'm a bit worried they'd lop my head off! I know it's stupid but i just couldn't let a stranger that close to my throat with a blade! :wacko:

I feel the same way rococo. I have always wanted to try that, but I do not trust anyone enough to get that close to my neck with an open blade.

Oh Gb maybe you can tell me, how crude can i be with jokes? Is swearing exceptable or not? :ermm:

I haven't really found that 5 blades is better than two. Back in ancient history, my first shave was with a Gillette Atra, and the handle lasted more than 20 years!
We had a bad drought 2 years ago, so I switched to my Dad's Norelco electric to save water. It does OK, and is convenient, but takes a lot longer than a blade.

I think blades do a better job, but will probably stick with an electric. I want to buy a good one, but don't want to shell out $100+ bucks. I am a tightwad, LOL

As for straight razors or safety blades... I dont trust self enough to try them. Nicks and slices hurt! haha

Oh Gb maybe you can tell me, how crude can i be with jokes? Is swearing exceptable or not? :ermm:
Nope no swearing. We keep things PG here. But feel free to PM people things that are not PG as long as you know they don't mind.

Back
Top Bottom