Awful Neighbors UGH!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

her_name_is_ed

Assistant Cook
My neighbors are awful! And I do not know what to do, but since we have lived here (just over a year) we have had problems with them. Here are the issues:

Loud music being played at all hours of the night.
Overfilled garbage cans are spilling over into our yard.
They have people living in their garage which is illegal here.
They hold monthy meetings (for what I do not know) and people from their meetings congregate in our DRIVEWAY, I found a woman sitting up against my car five minutes ago!!
They have people coming and going all the time and when someone comes to pick up one of the teenage daughters they honk incessantly until someone comes out.
We are really concerned for the children who live there, as they are allowed to play in the street with no supervision.
Two weeks ago I found their 18 month old around the corner walking alone near a busy intersection. I brought him home and the neighbors were all inside watching television, they had NO IDEA their son was missing. (yes, I called the cops).

What in the world can I do about these people??? They are making me nuts!

Get a video camera and tape all of this then show it to the cops. Video goes a long way in situations like this.

1. Learn the laws.. noise ordinances, do they need permits for the meetings, trespass laws, etc.
2. Document! GB has it right there! The more proof you have the better off you are.
Otherwise, it's their word against yours.
3. Are they renting? Their landlord might like to know about the garage squatters.
4. What kind of group is it? Does it have a national organization you could complain to?
5. You can always call Child Protective Services about the children.
6. No Trespassing signs in your yard might give you a valid reason to complain.

Of course, neighbors like this can be vindictive, so contemplate your actions
carefully. Good luck!

i would go to police department . talk to someone there that can tell you what is and isn't against the law. then ask them how you should proceed. here in calif. if your music makes the neighbors complain, it doesn't matter the police will tell them to turn it down.

tell them all your concerns, by going to the station you will get more done than telling a busy policeman that comes to your house. good luck, i have been battling with a neighbor over music for two years. the police come, they turn it down, police leave back up it goes. makes me nuts. just hang in maybe they will move. lol

My neighbors are awful! And I do not know what to do, but since we have lived here (just over a year) we have had problems with them. Here are the issues:

Loud music being played at all hours of the night.
Overfilled garbage cans are spilling over into our yard.
They have people living in their garage which is illegal here.
They hold monthy meetings (for what I do not know) and people from their meetings congregate in our DRIVEWAY, I found a woman sitting up against my car five minutes ago!!
They have people coming and going all the time and when someone comes to pick up one of the teenage daughters they honk incessantly until someone comes out.
We are really concerned for the children who live there, as they are allowed to play in the street with no supervision.
Two weeks ago I found their 18 month old around the corner walking alone near a busy intersection. I brought him home and the neighbors were all inside watching television, they had NO IDEA their son was missing. (yes, I called the cops).

What in the world can I do about these people??? They are making me nuts!

I am not a stranger to this topic. Have lived here too long and neighbors across street do everything to make my life miserable. Started w/me asking her son if he would not park behind my driveway so I could get out. Well, don't tell neighbors kids anything. This is what started the mother to resent me. Could not look at problem from my side.

I told t he police about what they do. They told me try to ignore it. Unless the neighbors do physical damage to my property can't do thing about it. It is public street and it is their home. So I wish you luck. Let me know how it turns out.

I wrote on this site till I was sick of myself complaining. What can these people do to help? Nothing! They cannot shoot my neighbors for me. Not when they enjoy their life making you miserable. You notice when you 'ask' someone about what they are doing, they do it more! I have put up with them for more than 30 years! The son is grown and thankfully moved but he is married and has kids and when they come over they run up and down the yard and throwing things on the lawn. Since we have no lights at night how can you see what is going on? Shame how history repeats itself. Yest erday they called me the witch because I have white hair and don't color it like their grandma. Really doesn't bother me only shows how ignorant they will be when they are neighbors of someone. 'Apple doesn't fall far from the tree'

the son worked for computer company and could intercept my phone calls but who would believe me? Majority of people thought I was crazy. Only people who have this happen to them would understand. He found out so much personal things about me. My niece who rescues dog was main topic of conversation, shortly thereafter she was rescuing dogs! she doesn't have a brain to think of this herself. So often I caught them repeating something I had said on the phone only to my brother and my windows weren't open. Hope your people move or can't pay their bills.

Since you have posted concern about neighbors, hope this thread doesn't get deleted as it may be something someone else can relate. I do know I made people on this site question my sanity but as I said, until you walk in someone else's shoes don't know what it is like. It does drive you crazy to try to live a normal life. Used to be such a great neighborhood. Wish I could move.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We have called the police on certain situations like once when we heard gun shots, yes...gun shots. We're in a safe neighborhood too, but it doesn't feel that way with them living here. We also have called the cops about the teenage kid smoking marijauna outside. Blocking our driveway etc. But it's like I.T.K said unless they are making threats or mess with our property there isn't much the police have been able to do.

The best advice I was ever given regarding obnoxious neighbors..

Set up a security camera,it can be done using your computer.
Post a sign saying that your home has security cameras.Fake cameras can be used..What they don't know won't hurt them.It's just the idea that the camera doesn't lie usually does the trick of deterring people.

Get a dog..A nice little yapper... ;)

How I dealt with loitering neighbors in my front yard..Reset the timer on my sprinkler system.Or just turned them on.They move on,and stay off..

Parked all of the large cans,garbage,yard waste,and recycle bins right on the curb.Nobody wants to deal with touching a garbage can.They are germy :)
And my driveway has yet to be blocked again.

Wouldn't it just be a shame if your car alarm suddenly gets temper mental at weird hours of the day/night? At this point take your time resetting the alarm.

Munky.

As others have said, learn your local ordinances. A person leaning on your car, in your driveway, should warrant a police call and they should remove her. The same for anything that is on your property. Know your noise ordinances and call them in every time it happens. I don't know where you live. In a large city, nothing you do will help your situation, but at least having your complaints on record, especially with the children, will help you in the long run. In my community (very small town) I could get the problem erased in a few months. But other places I've lived, it would be more difficult. But whatever you do, especially with the child, make sure your complaints are on the record. I assume you have other neighbors as well. Talk with them and work on it together.

Back
Top Bottom