Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
looking for a TNT method for BAKED sweet potato fries that are CRISPY....or at least as crispy as i can get 'em

also trying to keep them as healthy as possible

also, how do you cut your sweet potatoes to yield the most amount of fries?

I did some the other night. I peeled the sweet potato, using a vegetable peeler. I then cut it into "fries," and yes, some of the end ones were a bit irregular, but not many. I selected fat. oblong potatoes to begin with.
I sprayed a cookie sheet with canola, put the 'fries" on it, then sprayed their surface with a couple of spritzes of canola, too. Bake on high heat. Salt (used a nice sea salt).

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 257
Cook's Illustrated's The Best Vegetable Recipe cookbook has a recipe for oven fries that is, by far, the best I've tried. They have a recipe for sweet potato oven fries that I haven't tried, but if it's anywhere near as good as their regular oven fry recipe, it's awesome. Might be worth checking out!

I've found that making sure that the potatoes do NOT touch insures a crispy enjoyable fry. Some salt and your choice of shortening, mine is butter and these are an occasional treat make a taste sensation.
kadesma

I like to cut them a little bit thinner so they cook faster and crisp a little bit easier. I got started after eating the sweet potato fries at Pacific Catch.

Cook's Illustrated's The Best Vegetable Recipe cookbook has a recipe for oven fries that is, by far, the best I've tried. They have a recipe for sweet potato oven fries that I haven't tried, but if it's anywhere near as good as their regular oven fry recipe, it's awesome. Might be worth checking out!

Upon your advice I purchased the mentioned cookbook and I can only agree. Coming from Belgium myself the idea of oven baked fries normally is something rather, euh, not-done. But we all know: everything should be possible. And thanks to this recipe, there's indeed a way to enjoy the not-fried option. So: thx a lot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom