I just lost my little doggie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
My 15 year old JR terrier had to be put down today. She lived a good long life, and as many friends have noted, actually two lives, so while we shed tears we were also happy that she didn't suffer (had a seizure, we took her in; from first seizure it was less than an hour). But I'm still sad today.

I am so sorry. Las year we lost our chocolate lab and it still hard to think about him.

Sorry to hear about that claire, I know what it feels like when you lose a pet that's close to you. And to lose a pet that everyone feels that he/she is one of the family.

a very long time ago my German Sheppard died and I still think about her every once in a while.

Ah Claire I'm so sorry. No matter how much time we have with them it is never enough. My heart aches a little for you.

I cannot resist asking; is anyone reading this remembering when this doggie got lost for 8 days? it is a good story that some of the old timers here might remember. If you're interested in doggie survival stories I'll tell you about it as a sort of obit. She really was a survivor, and my DC friends helped me through it.

Please do share it again Claire. You are such a good storyteller and it will bring her alive for us all I think.

My little doggie's story

Thank you for asking me to tell the story again, since she has now left us to meet her mommie in heaven.

I wanted a dog when I lived in Hawaii. I wanted her small, and not pure-bred. In other words I was looking for a mutt. I found her, paid $100 for her (Hawaii has very stringeant laws) ... all I was looking for was a little short haired puppy and the humane society was showing me 25 lb, 6 mos old dogs and telling me they were "small" dogs. So I bought this little "teririer chihuaua mix"

We wer stationed in Virginia, and suddenly everyone was telling me I had a Jack Russell terrier. To make a long story short, we were convinced to breed her to a JR, and we kept my husband's favorite.

WE took the puppy we chose hither and yon, and wound up here, where her mother died (a good old age, we cried, but it was time). A bit after that is when the adventure started.

I remember you telling us about your girl. I'm so sorry Claire.I still ache for my little Maggie. I had to have her put down and it still hurts. You will be in my thoughts.
kadesma

But the real story starts when we find Galena, and White Fang finally dies; after a very good life, we had to have her put down. But we'd kept one of her puppies, Keiki, to be her companion (we'd had WF have one litter because people wanted her puppies, then had her fixed and kept one puppy, who we immediately had fixed as soon as old enough).

A bit after WF died, hubby and i were walking home from a Friday evening, and the gate that used to be self-latching ... well, didn't.

Within a few minutes Keiki was gone. We literally spent the entire night combing the neighborhood. I live in a very small town in a tri state area, so had to call the various authorities in three states. But my little town got on the ball. Even so, they tracked her from here to there a beyond, but in fact she was hard of hearing, and did not answer to her name (there's a story behind that). She'd always lived with her mommy (I do mean her real mom) and followed her everywhere. A considerable number of people I never knew called the police, who called me. Someone spotted her at the cemetary. I went out and searched. The thing is, I know she will not answer when called.

When we'd given up .. there had been torrential rains, and she isn't the brightest box of rocks, we just assumed after 3 or 4 days (actually, that was being hopeful), she as gone. We'd driving after every lead we'd had, and she'd have to have crossed a pretty busy highway, and, well, probably she had to be gone. The thing that most bothered me was that I knew her to be a true coward, and I hated the thought that she'd die in the wild, scared. This is a dog that was afraid of garden statuary.

So we went home after spending days looking for her and mourning her loss, when I got a weird call (I think this has to be a small town thing). She heard that i'd lost a dog, her sister said her sister's boyfirend's son found a dog that looked like her.

Went out and found a skeletan that was definitely my dog.

I called my vet and she came in (it was a Sunday, we live in a small town, so there was no emergency facility).

I'd already admitted she was dead, if you could see what she did wandering away, you'd agree.

WE got her home, and made sure our gates were more secure.

But this wimpy, 14 lb dog (when she was fat and happy; maybe 8 when we found her) managed to live 8 days out, and when she came back had hack marks on her back that the vet thought might be from preditory birds.

She became a rather minor celbrity pet in town, people got to know her story. Eight days? And the distance involved? She didn't give up until she couldn't move at all. Where in the hades did she think she was going?

We picked our little skeleten up, both of us bawling like infants. She was delerious and starved

We had her treated and babied her home, had the gates fixed and paid more attention to our safety measures. But eight days? How did she do it? We tracked her path through a large cemetary, across a highway, somehow around or through a rock quarry, and on to a farm.

So, eight days later we, both bawling our eyes out, took her home, an a few years later, we laid her to rest (yes, both crying). In that week when I lost her, I didn't so much fear for her life, i just did NOT want her to die afraid. And I know because of decisions we've made, she was not afraid when she died. When she started to have seizures, Jer called me, and we wrapped her up and did what we had to do. She died as comfortable a death as we could give her.

Remember!

Claire, I sure do remember your event about this little dog. Seemed everyday I was checking to see if you had found her. The loss of a dog seems so hard. More times than anything else. Dogs share so much with their owners a real intimacy that no human could fill, at least in my life. I read one comment where losing his dog was harder than losing his own mother! That came kind of a shock. Will you get another dog or is that it?

Please accept my sympathy. When I had to give mine up, I had to get more. Guess I need them to make it in this world. Express my sympathy to your husband also. So nice to have someone who shares your grief.

In the Kitchen, we're not planning on more pets any time soon. We've had geriatric dogs for so many years now, dogs we didn't feel secure with kennelling, and we'd like to do some traveling. That is to say without having to make reservations at dog-friendly hotels, not being able to go to restaurants, etc. We both have a policy of never say never or always, and I suspect my next pet will be a cat, but even that, no time soon.

cats are wonderful, my Thomas gives me much joy. not a big deal to care for. can be on this own with full feeder and water, for a couple days.

happy to hear 'Thomas' doing his job. I know he feels good that he has a person who loves him so much. You two need each other. He is here for you! Give him big hug for me.

... In that week when I lost her, I didn't so much fear for her life, i just did NOT want her to die afraid. And I know because of decisions we've made, she was not afraid when she died. When she started to have seizures, Jer called me, and we wrapped her up and did what we had to do. She died as comfortable a death as we could give her.
You are such a good person. That one statement spoke volumes to me and added to my respect for you.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but I am glad your little girl had a good life with you.

:flowers:Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom