What else with Moroccan Chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rookiechef

Assistant Cook
Chicken Tagine with Apricots and Almonds is on the menu with 2 other couples. I'm stumped as what to serve it with??? Except I'll serve in on cous cous butStarters? other Side dishes, desert???? The simpler but pretty the better?? Many Thanks!

• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 (3-lb) chicken, cut into 6 pieces, wings and backbone discarded
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 medium red onion, halved, then sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 5 fresh cilantro
  • 5 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons mild honey
  • 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
  • 1/2 cup dried Turkish apricots, separated into halves
  • 1/3 cup whole blanched almonds

CousCous is a resounding YES, but you also definitely need a "green". I'd do a simple sauteed or creamed spinach adding some garlic, cumin, hot paprika (or regular paprika with some ground cayenne pepper), lemon juice. You could even toss in a can of drained chickpeas for texture & visual interest. Whatever you do, stay away from any of the "sweet" spices, since they're more than taken care of in the tagine. You don't want everything sweet.

Another biggie - some type of flatbread. If none of your local markets carry the Indian Naan bread (& many do these days - in fact, even our local Walmart carries it now), pick up some nice soft pitas & plan to serve them warm with the meal.

For starters, how about a nice big bowl of Hummus with a pile of freshly toasted pita chips &/or some fresh vegetable dippers?

Oh - & in case you'd like to add something nice & fresh, even though it's not technically "Moroccan", there'd be nothing wrong with a nice big green salad spiked with green & black olives, marinated artichoke hearts, diced jarred pimentos, & a basic vinegarette. And if you didn't add chickpeas to the spinach, you could toss some into the salad as well.

Thank you Wyogal I looked through many but was uncertain which go with the Tagine I'm doing.
Breezy, love it.Yes...chick peas, flat bread, salad exactly as written!!!
As much as I like hummus it seems everyone does that these days kinda reminds me of the days of Ranch dressing with vegies. Although, it is easy as I requested. Any other ideas? What about desert? Something, to go with mint tea?

Even though it's Greek more than Moroccan, you could buy some frozen Spanokopita triangles to serve as a starter - either alone or with hummus & chips.

As for dessert, I'd go with a lovely arranged platter of perfectly ripe soft fruits - berries, different colored grapes, figs (if you can get them), whatever is at its best at the market. Maybe some soft cheeses, some sweetish biscuits/crackers, some honey to drizzle over. . . .

Back
Top Bottom