Learning to cook!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCook

Assistant Cook
Just wanted to share a cooking related experience I had recently. I'm one of those people who really enjoy cooking but are not necessarily very proficient, so I decided I should learn some techniques! I booked myself onto a cooking class at L'atelier des Chefs in London - they just do short classes, where you cook a meal and eat it afterwards. I went at lunch time - I spent half an hour in the kitchen and it was only £18 - a real bargain! The chef was fantastic and guided everyone through the recipe - I'm definitely going to try it again at home.

Thanks! I cooked a chicken supreme with a tian of courgette and tomato - with fresh pesto. Now I know how to cook tomatoes so that they really retain their flavour. And the fresh pesto is so simple but so nice - will try not to use it from the jar again!

Yup - once you've made your own fresh pesto, it's impossible to go back to the commercial jarred stuff. The commercial stuff automatically tastes oily & flavorless.

So true! and the commercial stuff doesn't bring out the true flavour of the basil!

Welcome to the forum. Why don't you describe the recipe and techniks for us in details. I', sure we can all benefit from it.

Well, I peeled the tomatoes with a snazzy tomato peeler and then quartered them and removed the seeds. Theses tomato 'petals' went in the oven with some thyme, garlic, a bay leaf, lots of salt & pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. They went in the oven right at the begining of the class and didn't come out till the last minute. We sliced the courgettes with a mandolin and sauteed them in batches with some thyme and olives. The chicken was seared in the pan first before being cooked in the oven. i was surprised at how little time it needed. We arranged the tians using steel rings and drizzled the pesto over the chicken. Yum.

:LOL:
Ok, can somebody, pleeease translate this into English. No wonder people have hard time learning how to cook. Who can understand this kind of explanation in the cooking class? ;)

agreed- fresh pesto really does make such a difference compared to those in a jar...glad you had so much fun at the class!

Yeah, of course if you are English speaking person maybe, not me, I need it plain, simple, with a lots of details. :(

I'm guessing that CharlieD doesn't know the terms 'tian' and 'courgette'.

Courgette is approximately a zucchini.

A tian is a layered little pile of stuff, like a molded dish or casserole. They used the rings to stack everything up, then removed the rings for presentation.

Hey guys, sorry if that wasn't very clear - guess we are all from different parts of the world on here and may not use the same terms for things! Anyone got any favourite recipes they want to share?

Welcome! I love all of the elements in this recipe! It should be delicious! Thank you!

I'm guessing that CharlieD doesn't know the terms 'tian' and 'courgette'...

Thank you, in fact I did know about the zukini, but did not know what tian was, but even that was not my problem.

Chicken supreme is called that for a reason, otherwise it could have been simply called baked chicken or seared baked chicken. Also After such introduction to a pesto, there was no fallow up, and honestly I just really wanted to know how it was done versus a regular pesto, because there is so very little to a pesto.

Now am I wrong to ask for the detailed recipes? I thought it was cooking forum and we are trying to learn how to cook. No ofence to anybody. :chef:

>>Chicken supreme is called that for a reason, otherwise it could have been simply called baked chicken or seared baked chicken.

uhmm, not a good assumption. just think of all the "names" that have been attached to "hot dogs" or "hamburgers" or "an omelet"

marketing names & hype mean nothing.

Well, chicken supreme is also a shortened version of a supreme of chicken which is a particular trimming of a chicken breast that still includes the wing.

Supreme has gone on to mean the trimmed segmented citrus.

So supreme does have specific cooking meanings rather than just marketing hype.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom