Dinner tonight for 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianwooten

Assistant Cook
Never posted a meal before... here goes! The main course is about 8 lbs of pork roast which I will cook in my Alto Shaam oven (an old one I've had for many years from when I use to be a manufacturer's rep). My wife has a recipe for broccoli salad which I love and will probably use. The salad consists of broccoli, mayo, sugar, vinegar, sunflower seeds, raisins, and bacon crumbs. It is a cult favorite around here. Don't know where the recipe came from but the originator should have gotten an award! Haven't hit on any other side dishes yet. Thinking maybe mashed potatoes (using meat juice to make a gravy) and fresh green beans or maybe a good mustard-based potato salad. Any suggestions? Dessert is Coca-cola cake and my Mom's Rum Cake which she loves to make (at 78 yrs she's had lot's of practice!). Thanks for letting me post. Sorry you can't all be here to taste but ... frankly that would cost me too blame much money!!!:chef:

Hi there! I think the mashed potatoes with homemade gravy sounds really yummy. You could also make a vegetable side like glazed carrots (or your green beans sound good) and have a small relish tray. Have you thought about any nibbles before dinner?

No. Haven't even thought of that. Any suggestions? What would be a good prelude to pork?:rolleyes:
Maybe a hot dip with bread cubes or crackers. It doesn't have to be hot. My Grandma or Aunt always makes dinner for 12-16 people on birthdays/holidays. She puts out things people can pick at before dinner, if they wish.

One appetizer is scooping out the inside of a round pumpernickel loaf, filling the inside with dip, serving the bread cubes around the outside, along with crackers and cut-up vegies.

Another couple of choices could be stuffed mushrooms or pinwheels.

I like the idea of carrots instead of green beans, because of color. mashed potatoes would be nice, too.
Before dinner: I like the idea of having a couple of choices. My husband would really squirm if the only choice of appetizer is a stuffed mushroom. I love 'em, he hates 'em. So a stuffed mushroom (with a stuffing of packaged stuffing mix with parmesan and crushed red chili flakes), with something else like those pinwheels would be good.

I like sweet Potato (your way) with pork...Nix the carrots...Go with whole garlicky green beans with a light drizzled of EVOO......

Enjoy!

I hope you had fun at your dinner party. I love to entertain at home. People always appreciate the time, thought, and love we put into preparing dinner for them. Now, tomorrow you need to rest, twelve is a large number of people to feed. Hope you have leftovers :)

I have learned to keep before dinner food very light, especially when serving a meal like pork with lots of very good sounding trimmings. I usually put out bowls of mixed nuts. A friend of mine from France told me that the French put out very little for nibbles with drinks, and I like that idea and everyone seems satisfied with just that. If I am serving a light meal shrimp cocktail is always a winner.

whenever I have pork I have to have applesauce also for a side.
I also think carrots would be nice along with your broccoli salad, instead of beans
No matter what the meal is I always have corn in every meal as to be sure of a veggie someone will like. Brought up in a family of ten corn was at everymeal and then mom would introduce a new veggie, you always had to pik one or the other. but you also had to try the new veggie. Not a veggie I don't like.

Good luck on your dinner --

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom