Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey Circus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
We took my daughter and BIL to the circus yesterday. I had not been since I was 6. My memories from when I was 6 are not crystal clear, but I do remember certain things and confirmed with my parents that my memories are pretty much accurate.

Now i do not expect things to stay the same, but the circus we saw yesterday was so much different from what I remember from my childhood, and no where near as good. We still had a good time. The circus was fun and I am glad we went. the circus from my childhood was so much better though.

For one thing, the clowns yesterday were basically just like backup dancers at a concert. They did not do any tricks or have any real acts themselves. I remember when I was 6 the clowns did the standard small car with tons of clowns piling out sorts of things. They came into the audience and involved the kids. They did slapstick sorts of routines and basically made the audience laugh. There was none of that yesterday.

Another odd thing was that the circus was almost like a musical. The ring leader sang every time he came out. Every time you saw he he had another song. It was quite odd.

I also noticed that the acts were extremely short for the most part. It is like they were catering to all the ADD that is supposedly out there.

I think the weirdest part though was that mixed in with the clowns (who hardly even looked like traditional clowns) were female dancers in skimpy revealing clothes. it was nothing too crazy, but certainly not something I would expect to see at a show designed for kids. I did not mind the visual distraction for myself of course, but just found it odd to see there.

Has anyone else been to the circus lately? Did you notice the same things or did I just see a strange show?

Actually it was nothing at all like Cirque de Soleil although I can see how you would get that from my post re: the scantily clad girls. This was much different though.

I'm happy that some modern circuses are not using animals, but that's a WHOLE other topic... Which is not the point!

I haven't been to a circus as you've described in a long while either GB. I have been to Cirque du Soleil though and it sounds very similar... perhaps they are trying to be the next Cirque.

It just seemed very out of place Saph. The dancing girls were right next to the clowns doing the same things. It just didn't fit. The overall feel of the circus was that they were catering to very young kids, aside from those girls.

No one has specifically mentioned it; but I think the circus changed, fundamentally, when it went indoors. Walking through the sawdust of the midway and sitting on a bench under a tent is an ambiance that can never be duplicated in an indoor arena.

That being said, the circus is for kids and I doubt kids enjoy the circus any less today than we did years ago!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom