Substitute to Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was not aware that Fish was considered to be in the meat or poultry groups. Do you consider Lobster or Crab Meat in that same restriction?

can you be more specific? What are you trying to make?

I was not aware that Fish was considered to be in the meat or poultry groups. Do you consider Lobster or Crab Meat in that same restriction?
Fish is meat.

About the only thing I can think of would be a Vegan fish substitute. You might try looking at some of these Google search sites (vegan fish substitute) to see if you can locate what you are looking for. Other than that about the only thing I can think of that is not fish, meat or poultry would be shell fish or crustaceans (shrimp, crab, lobster, muscles, clams, oysters, etc.) .

Last edited:
Tofu can take on almost any flavor you want depending on what sauce you fix with it, and if you deep fry tofu for just a few minutes, it has a nice chewy texture that can pass for fish - if you keep your eyes closed.

Tofu can take on almost any flavor you want depending on what sauce you fix with it, and if you deep fry tofu for just a few minutes, it has a nice chewy texture that can pass for fish - if you keep your eyes closed.

....being drunk helps :rolleyes:

i like tofu when its prepared well....i even make it sometimes...but it doesn't really pass as meat

....being drunk helps :rolleyes:

i like tofu when its prepared well....i even make it sometimes...but it doesn't really pass as meat

LOL - I'm wondering how much a soy bean protein and seaweed product will really taste like fish, too! Maybe it the vegan artificial fish flavoring that does it?

LOL - I'm wondering how much a soy bean protein and seaweed product will really taste like fish, too! Maybe it the vegan artificial fish flavoring that does it?
It is really hard to duplicate the taste of fish. Luckily, I never liked fish, so I've never had the urge to try. I made 'clam' chowder the other day, and just used kombu broth instead of clam juice. Seaweed (nori, kombu, etc) gives you a sea life quality, but it doesn't really taste like fish.

It all depends on what you are doing. If you are trying to make baked fish without fish I think you may be out of luck. Salmon patties? Maybe. But you would have to do a lot of experimenting and substituting. Even then you would have to use fish oils to get that flavor.

Back
Top Bottom