ISO ingredient sub for Green Bean Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kutie984

Assistant Cook
How do you make green bean casserole without cream of mushroom soup?
My husband is allergic to mushrooms, will cream of chicken soup or cream of celery work?

Yes cream of celery will work just fine. I've made it that way before. I've not used the cream of chicken so can't speak to that.

Pretty much any 'cream of..' soup will work. You could also just make a simple white sauce (Bechamel) and use that instead.

I, too, would use any "cream of..." soup. There are some I am more fond of than others, so experiment with flavors you like anyway. There are also a lot of other salad crispy toppings available in the produced department that you could top the casserole with instead of the onions if you want to try something different

I'd say cream of celery, and add a little sherry to it.

The cheddar cheese idea sounds interesting, too - but that's a different dish entirely.

Cream of anything will do just fine. I used creamed corn one time just to experiment and I thought it was good but again...that is not the classic green bean casserole!

I am not a mushroom fan so anytime I made something that calls for cream of mushroom soup I use cream of celery. It has always worked perfectly for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom