Cuban Bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Last night on Guys big bite, He was cooking Cuban bread. And I like to know where I can find it or what the American counter part is?

It actually look liked Indian flat bread.

Thank you for the links and help guys, I was looking for a type of bread like this.

When I saw it on Guy's show it was like, Oh yeah finally know the name of the bread.

What would be the American counter part for this bread?

I'm going to make Philly cheese steak sandwiches in a couple of weeks.

What would be the American counter part for this bread?

Well, it appears that the real authentic Pan Cubano it's basically something like a sourdough French bread with a crispy crust but made with lard instead of shortening. I don't know of an American counterpart for that. You might check around town (don't know where you live) and see if any local bakeries make Cuban bread - although what they pass off will probably be made with shortening instead of lard. And, IMHO the lard does make a difference in flavor!

As a substitute just use a loaf of French bread, sub rolls, or something like that. For a Philly cheese steak any of those would work.

Last edited:
What Michael said is true. When I lived in Texas I couldn't find Cuban bread. But now that I'm back in Florida where Cuban sandwiches are abundant, it's all over the place. No sourdough involved though. The closest I think you'll be able to find is a hoagie, or sub kind of roll. And he's right, probabaly not made with lard. You could even use a type of french loaf and cut it in half or thirds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom